WHEN: At University of Utah, Huntsman Center, tonight at 6
WHO: The Nos. 1, 12, and 13 teams in the nation plus the next-best three teams from the North Central Region. Also, select at-large all-around and individual event specialists from the NC Region will attempt to advance against the rest of the field.
WHAT: This meet qualifies its top-two finishing teams and may qualify some at-large individuals for the 2005 NCAA championships, April 21-23 at Auburn University.
Utah (12-2): Ranked No. 1 in the country and seeded No. 1 for the North Central meet with a 197.320 Regional Qualifying Score, which is an average of six meets, at least three from the road, with the high score thrown out. Utah's season high is 197.85, scored on March 11 at home against Washington. That is in a three-way tie for the nation's highest score this season; UCLA and LSU also scored 197.85. Top all-arounders are Ashley Postell (39.775 season/career high), Nicolle Ford (39.65), Annabeth Eberle (39.675), ranked 4-5-6 in the nation; and Rachel Tidd (39.575).
Oregon State (17-8): Ranked No. 12 nationally. Seeded second to Utah for this regional meet with a 195.715 RQS. The Beavers' season high is 195.975. Uses no all-arounders. Coach Tanya Chaplin is 130-95-1 in her eighth season.
BYU (10-6): Ranked No. 13 with a 195.625 RQS. The Cougars' season high of 196.825 came March 26 at home against Utah. Top all-arounders are Jaime Mabray (39.50 season high), Marie-Helene Claveau (39.375) and Kacie Capra (39.30). Coach Brad Cattermole is 221-244-1 in 17 years at the Y.
Minnesota (11-11): Ranked No. 20 with a 195.185 RQS. Season high of 195.775 came on Feb. 26. Top all-arounder is Laura Johnson (39.225). Jim and Meg Stephenson are 119-95-1 in their eight years as co-head coaches. Jim, a former Utah assistant, is 178-166-1 in 13 total years as Gopher head coach.
Southern Utah (9-0): Ranked No. 22 with a 195.155 RQS. The Thunderbirds' season high was 196.175 on Feb. 11. Top all-arounders are Leah Sakhitab (39.30), Carly Geronimo (39.275) and Sheena Shaw (39.05). Coach Scott Bauman is 100-130 in his 13th season
Iowa (9-19): Ranked 36th with a 194.135 RQS. Season high of 195.25 came on Feb. 26. Top all-arounder is Liz Grajewski (39.075). Coach Larissa Libby is 9-18 in her first season.
All-arounders: Jessa Liegl, Air Force Academy; Lauren Robison, AFA; Sashonna Iwaniec, AFA; Katie Donnell, AFA; Alison Eagles, Wisconsin-Eau Claire.
Event specialists: Kelly Lewis, AFA, vault, floor exercise; Diane Godar, AFA, beam; Nina Schubert, Wisconsin-LaCrosse, bars.
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- WCC Championship game tale of the tape, BYU...
- San Francisco coach apologizes for postgame...
- BYU football: Bronson Kaufusi excited about...
- BYU basketball: Tyler Haws passes Russell...
- BYU report card vs. San Francisco: Cougars...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 83
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 31
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 30
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24