In 1978, Edwin Q. Cannon Jr. traveled to Africa to begin establishing branches of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
His family said he was a modern pioneer when he traveled to do that work. It was an action befitting of his heritage, they said, as the grandson of LDS Apostle George Q. Cannon.
On Wednesday, April 6, 2005, Cannon died. He was 86 years old.
Cannon was described by his family in his obituary as an active member of the community. He served in several leadership positions within the LDS church, including a stint as president of the Switzerland Mission and president of the Frankfurt Temple.
"Ted," as he was known to friends, grew up in the Avenues of Salt Lake City. He attended the University of Utah and served a mission for his church in Germany. "Hitler's Germany," his obituary read.
Cannon married Janath Russell on August 13, 1941, and enrolled at the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration, graduating magna cum laude.
Cannon also managed his family's business, the Salt Lake Stamp Co., for 30 years and served as a member of the Utah House of Representatives from 1956 to 1962. He had six children.
His obituary reads: "Ted was a respected businessman, a loyal husband, a quiet and caring father, a faithful friend, and a delightful companion."
Funeral services will be at noon today at the Eagle Gate Stake Center, 2nd Ave. & A Street. A viewing will be Friday from 6 to 8 p.m. at Larkin Mortuary, 260 East South Temple.
In lieu of flowers, the family is suggesting donations be made to the LDS Perpetual Education Fund.
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested for...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- What does a letter grade mean for my child's...
- Candlelight vigil held for critically injured...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- Former top deputy in Utah attorney general...
- Christmas I Remember Best: 'All this, and...
- Driver allegedly causes accident on I-15,...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 91
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 54
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 36
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 32
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 17
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 13