Real Salt Lake posts shutout
Watson scores twice; team plays again today in Portugal
Real Salt Lake continued its impressive preseason.
With most of the team's veteran players resting for Wednesday's exhibition game, RSL beat Beira Mar of the Portuguese Second Division 4-0 Tuesday to improve to 5-1-1 in the preseason.
"I was pleasantly surprised by how well the younger players played," coach John Ellinger told the Deseret Morning News from his hotel in Portugal. "It was a close game for the first 20-25 minutes, then we stepped up the pressure and managed to score. Overall, it was a good test for us."
Forward Jamie Watson had two goals and set up another by Luke Kreamalmeyer. Kevin Novak also scored for Real Salt Lake.
For today's game against Portimonense of the Portuguese First Division, Ellinger said he planned to use a split squad, whereas Tuesday he used only four or five veterans.
Kenny Cutler, who replaced Watson midway through the second half, sustained a leg contusion but is listed as day-to-day. Chris Brown, who underwent surgery earlier a couple of months ago, is expected to join the team Thursday and participate in practices but not play in games."I'm pleased at how (this team) has progressed since our scrimmage with DC United," Ellinger said.
PRESEASON UPDATE: RSL's exhibition game on Tuesday, March 8 against Olhanense, of the Portuguese Second Division, has been cancelled. Real is now scheduled to play Recreativa Huelva, who currently sit No. 2 in the Spanish Second Division.
ROJAS FINALLY ARRIVES: Trinidad & Tobago National Team defender Marlon Rojas is set to join Real Salt Lake at training camp in Monte Gordo, Portugal today."This is definitely great news for me as I have been looking forward to joining MLS since playing collegiate soccer in the United States," Rojas said. "I expect to make a good impression once I join up with the team in Portugal. This is a great opportunity to establish myself in MLS."
DUNSETH RETURNING HOME: Brian Dunseth is returning to Salt Lake City this week to have an MRI on a pain-free but swollen right knee. Dunseth is slated to be a starter alongside Eddie Pope this year at central defense.
JERSEY LAUNCH: RSL and adidas are joining together to announce the unveiling of RSL's official jersey on Saturday, March 12, at 6 p.m. The jersey launch will take place at the Town Lift Plaza in downtown Park City, at 825 Main.
RSL TICKETS: Real Salt Lake announced that season ticket mini plans and group ticket sales are now available by logging onto www.realsaltlake.com or by calling 866-9-SOCCER.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in spite...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 102
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 16