OREM Gaylord K. Swim, founder and board chairman of the conservative Sutherland Institute, died Saturday of brain cancer at 56.
Swim founded the institute, a public policy research center, in 1995, and also served as chairman of American Heritage Schools for the past decade. He also was chairman of a committee set up in 2004 to study the possible division of the Alpine School District.
Swim opened and managed an investment branch office for Dominick and Dominick in 1984. By 1989 he had established Pillar Capital Advisors.
Swim served on the board of directors for EFI Electronics, Covey Leadership Center and Eyring Research Institute. He established the Foundation for the American West.
He also founded the Rural Health Management Corp. and was a trustee for the Central Valley Medical Center. He was named hospital Trustee of the Year in 1993.
He served on the board for the State Policy Network, Deseret International Foundation, Enterprise Mentors and the Utah National Parks Council of the Boy Scouts of America.
At the time of his death, Swim was serving on the President's Leadership Council at BYU and as an advisory board member of the Foundation for American Christian Education.
Funeral services will be Friday at 11 a.m. in the Lakeridge North Stake Center, 450 S. 100 West, Orem. A viewing will be held Thursday at Berg Mortuary, 185 E. Center, Provo, from 6 to 8 p.m.
Donations can be made in Swim's memory to the General Missionary Fund of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue atop...
- Horse owners urged to have animals vaccinated
- Judiciary panel OK’s ex-Centerville...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 34
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 31
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 14