The Utah Transit Authority Board of Directors has approved names for the 16 stations to be built along the agency's 15-mile light rail mass transit system.
Only a few minor changes were made to a proposed list of names suggested by local governments and presented to the board in October.The station at 3900 South, previously unnamed, will be called Meadowbrook.
The station at 6400 South will be called Fashion Place West instead of just Fashion Place. Some UTA board members felt the name Fashion Place would be misleading because the station stop is several blocks west of the Fashion Place Mall. City officials from Murray, where the mall is located, insisted that their largest generator of sales tax revenue be included in the station's name. Fashion Place West was agreed upon as a compromise.
The station at 9000 South will be called Historic Sandy instead of Sandy's Station. The Sandy City Council agreed to change the name after a UTA board member pointed out that Sandy's Station also is the name of a nearby tavern.
UTA will list the street location of each station underneath the name so passengers reading station signs will know exactly where they are.
A 17th station was planned. It would have been located at 2700 South in South Salt Lake. UTA engineers recommended that it not be included due to logistical problems and because ridership at that site is now projected to be much less than originally thought.
A future station is planned at 200 West and 900 South.
The $312 million Transit Express is $30 million under budget and ahead of schedule. It is expected to be up and running no later than March 2000.
Here are the station names, grouped by city from north to south along the TRAX line:
Salt Lake City - Delta Center (South Temple between 400 West and 300 West); Temple Square (South Temple at about 150 West); City Center (Main Street between South Temple and 100 South); Gallivan Plaza (Main Street between 200 South and 300 South); Courthouse (Main Street between 400 South and 500 South); Ballpark (about 1250 South and 200 West).
South Salt Lake - Central Pointe (2100 South); Millcreek (3300 South).
Salt Lake County - Meadowbrook (3900 South).
Murray - Murray North (4500 South); Murray Central (between 5300 South and Vine Street); Fashion Place West (6400 South).
Midvale - Midvale Fort Union (7200 South); Midvale Center (7800 South).
Sandy - Historic Sandy (9000 South); Sandy Civic Center (10000 South).
- Women leaders in Utah forging their own paths...
- Woman shot in Millcreek attack moved to...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Day of Dignity a compassionate gift from...
- Box Elder County jail inmate dies after being...
- Alleged distracted driver narrowly misses...
- Science or art? U. research featured in...
- Crews searching for Wyoming man after cliff...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 70
- State responds to Planned Parenthood... 69
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 39
- Utah's plan for Medicaid expansion is... 29
- Women leaders in Utah forging their own... 17
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't... 15
- West Jordan councilwoman accuses mayor... 14
- Inmate charged with sending threatening... 13