I am shocked to read that the LDS Church has called Grant Palmer in for a disciplinary hearing. Grant's conclusions on Mormon origins pretty much reflect the consensus of serious scholarship. Grant is one of many Mormons for whom scholarship has undermined the orthodox faith story upon which they were raised.
I am also in that category. It is a painful process. Grant's book is a good overview of the consensus scholarship among those who are able to consider alternative explanations of Mormon origins.I consider the Book of Mormon a legitimate part of the canon of scripture. But I do believe that the orthodox story does not withstand careful scholarly examination.
William D. Russell
professor of American history and government
- In our opinion: U.S. needs immigration... 72
- Dan Liljenquist: Obamacare was a rude... 61
- Letter: Growing party divide 53
- Letter: Acting on immigration 50
- Michael Gerson: Obama’s executive... 46
- How America feels about Mitt Romney... 40
- Letter: King Obama 28
- My view: Global warming needs free market 26