I am shocked to read that the LDS Church has called Grant Palmer in for a disciplinary hearing. Grant's conclusions on Mormon origins pretty much reflect the consensus of serious scholarship. Grant is one of many Mormons for whom scholarship has undermined the orthodox faith story upon which they were raised.
I am also in that category. It is a painful process. Grant's book is a good overview of the consensus scholarship among those who are able to consider alternative explanations of Mormon origins.I consider the Book of Mormon a legitimate part of the canon of scripture. But I do believe that the orthodox story does not withstand careful scholarly examination.
William D. Russell
professor of American history and government
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious... 56
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 35
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a... 30
- Letter: Prison nonsense 28
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the... 27
- Letter: Peanut butter ban? 21
- Letter: Idle elimination 19
- Ron Clegg: Primary seat belt law will... 19