It was a fairly quiet day around the MLS on Monday, the first day trades and other transactions weren't restricted since the September trading deadline.
That doesn't mean the rest of the week will be quiet.
"We definitely expect to be a little busier," said Real Salt Lake coach John Ellinger.
Discussions are sure to heat up once the unprotected expansion draft list is finalized late Tuesday night.
"We're going to be working all week," said Ellinger. "When the list comes out, no question the other teams will be looking at the same list."
MLS teams are allowed to protect 12 of their 18 senior roster players. The other six will be made available to Real Salt Lake and Chivas USA (Los Angeles) during Friday's 10-round expansion draft to be broadcast live on ESPNews at 2 p.m. Chivas owns the first pick.
The team's draft headquarters will be the SkyBox Sports Grille in the Gateway and is open to the public.
Ellinger confirmed there's a good chance the franchise's first player won't come via the expansion draft, but via a trade in the next couple of days.
Team owner Dave Checketts is scheduled to make a significant announcement Wednesday at 4 p.m. Speculation is the announcement involves Real's first player.
Dallas striker Jason Kreis and U.S. National Team goalie Kasey Keller, currently playing in England, have been mentioned as the possible players. Whether or not those rumors come true, Ellinger admits players of that caliber can only help his expansion team.
"If you look at the names of those two players, right away they bring experience and leadership," said Ellinger.
CUP PARTY: General manager Steve Pastorino, along with Ellinger and several other members of Real's staff spent the weekend in Los Angeles to watch the MLS Cup and participate in the league's annual meetings.
Ellinger was very entertained by D.C. United's 3-2 win over Kansas City."It was one of those games you always hope for in a cup final," said Ellinger. "It was a good quality game, good end-to-end stuff, five goals scored. It's kind of what you hope for."
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to lead...
- Dick Harmon: The night the rim got wide as a...
- 40-foot jumper by Lexi Rydalch secures BYU's...
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade possibilities as...
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants...
- Morning links: Hayward becomes 'gaming...
- High school wrestling: Pleasant Grove dynasty...
- BYU women's basketball: Dynamic trio leading...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to... 73
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 60
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 50
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 45
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39