A gang-related shootout in the parking lot of a Taylorsville 7-Eleven Monday night landed one man in jail and had the Salt Lake Metro Gang Unit looking for at least one other person Tuesday.
About 11:30 p.m. two men fired an undisclosed number of shots at each other despite the presence of several bystanders.
"They had a complete disregard for the public," Salt Lake County Sheriff's Sgt. Rosie Rivera said.
There were no reports of injuries to the bystanders or the alleged shooters. Detectives later found shell casings in the parking lot, but there was no information Tuesday on whether any surrounding vehicles or structures were hit.
Witnesses said three vehicles were involved in the incident at the store, 4684 S. Redwood Road. A man was running and shooting at another car speeding out of the parking lot, according to witnesses. One occupant of that vehicle then jumped onto the rear bumper and fired back, Rivera said.
It was unknown Tuesday what prompted the gunfight, but witnesses overheard one shooter say he was affiliated with a gang, she said.
Witnesses were also able to offer good descriptions of the vehicles involved including at least one license plate number, Rivera said.
A short time later, a man, 28, was arrested at a Phillips 66 station, 3200 W. 4700 South.
The man was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated assault.
The gang mentioned by one gunman was very active and violent in the mid to late '90s. Members of the gang were either the victims of or convicted in a number of shootings and aggravated assaults in 1996 and 1997. The majority of those incidents involved a rival Salt Lake City gang.Several officers said the gang has been dormant for several years since those high-profile incidents and subsequent convictions.
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- Report: Utah home to 'most impressive'...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- Hikers brave cold and wind instead of Black...
- Citywide remodels home for family of teen...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 26
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 16
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 10
- Ex A.G. John Swallow wants FBI, DOJ... 7