A member of a Kearns street gang has been named this week's Public Enemy No. 1 by the Salt Lake Area Gang Project.
Joe Mario Velarde, 33, has several warrants out for his arrest, including one from the U.S. Marshals Service. His criminal history includes more than 30 arrests ranging from burglary to theft to drugs.
His name has also come up several times in an investigation related to gun activity, said Salt Lake County Sheriff's Sgt. Bill Robertson.
"He's involved in some firearms transactions," Robertson said. "It's only a matter of time before he does something stupid. We definitely want to get him off the street."
Velarde is 5-foot-11 and 190 pounds. He has his last name, "Velarde," tattooed on his left hand, a parrot tattooed on his left forearm and several other tattoos on his right arm.
Velarde sometimes goes by the alias Mario Tafoya, Robertson said.
Anyone with information is asked to call the gang unit at 743-7000.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- West Jordan councilwoman accuses mayor of...
- State responds to Planned Parenthood claims
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 69
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- State responds to Planned Parenthood... 28
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 27
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20