A member of a Kearns street gang has been named this week's Public Enemy No. 1 by the Salt Lake Area Gang Project.
Joe Mario Velarde, 33, has several warrants out for his arrest, including one from the U.S. Marshals Service. His criminal history includes more than 30 arrests ranging from burglary to theft to drugs.
His name has also come up several times in an investigation related to gun activity, said Salt Lake County Sheriff's Sgt. Bill Robertson.
"He's involved in some firearms transactions," Robertson said. "It's only a matter of time before he does something stupid. We definitely want to get him off the street."
Velarde is 5-foot-11 and 190 pounds. He has his last name, "Velarde," tattooed on his left hand, a parrot tattooed on his left forearm and several other tattoos on his right arm.
Velarde sometimes goes by the alias Mario Tafoya, Robertson said.
Anyone with information is asked to call the gang unit at 743-7000.
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Part police cruiser, part taxi,...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 10