Salt Lake police were investigating two shootings that occurred within 30 minutes early Sunday and left at least three people injured.
A mother in her mid-30s, her 13-year-old daughter and possibly a third person, who fled, were shot about 12:30 a.m. at a house near 900 North and 900 West. Minutes later, gang detectives detained seven people all juveniles and seized a sawed-off shotgun, Salt Lake Police Lt. Robert Linton said.
Just before 1 a.m., a man in his late 20s was shot in downtown Salt Lake City during a fistfight with two other men. One man was arrested a few blocks away. Police continued to look for the other man. Investigators believe the shooting is unrelated to the first incident.
Police believe the shooting that injured the mother and daughter was gang-related. "The gang units responded. And in the report, the detail says it was a rival gang that" fired shots, Linton said.
It was unknown whether the mother and daughter were associated with a gang. The mother was shot in the leg. The daughter was shot in the arm and leg. Both were in fair condition when they were transported to a local hospital, Linton said.
A group of people was fighting at the house only 30 minutes before the shooting. The fight broke up, but shots rang out later when a vehicle drove by, Linton said.
Gang detectives chased and caught one juvenile on foot near the house. They gathered others at Rose Park Elementary because they received a detailed vehicle description. "That's why (gang cops) get to know the gang people. They rat each other off," Linton said.
Police believe the man shot downtown may have been targeted because he was winning the fistfight near 16 W. Market St.
Police do not know why the men were fighting, Linton said.
One of the men retrieved a handgun. He shot at the victim and passed the gun to his friend, who fired twice, Linton said.
The victim was in critical condition when he was transported to the hospital, Linton said.Police arrested one of the men a couple of blocks away. The other man is described as a black adult and skinny. He was wearing a white shirt under a plaid shirt. He was driving a car with a possible Utah license plate of 467 WTN, Linton said.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- Ex-social worker to plead guilty to sex with...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 54
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 36
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 11