Salt Lake police were investigating two shootings that occurred within 30 minutes early Sunday and left at least three people injured.
A mother in her mid-30s, her 13-year-old daughter and possibly a third person, who fled, were shot about 12:30 a.m. at a house near 900 North and 900 West. Minutes later, gang detectives detained seven people all juveniles and seized a sawed-off shotgun, Salt Lake Police Lt. Robert Linton said.
Just before 1 a.m., a man in his late 20s was shot in downtown Salt Lake City during a fistfight with two other men. One man was arrested a few blocks away. Police continued to look for the other man. Investigators believe the shooting is unrelated to the first incident.
Police believe the shooting that injured the mother and daughter was gang-related. "The gang units responded. And in the report, the detail says it was a rival gang that" fired shots, Linton said.
It was unknown whether the mother and daughter were associated with a gang. The mother was shot in the leg. The daughter was shot in the arm and leg. Both were in fair condition when they were transported to a local hospital, Linton said.
A group of people was fighting at the house only 30 minutes before the shooting. The fight broke up, but shots rang out later when a vehicle drove by, Linton said.
Gang detectives chased and caught one juvenile on foot near the house. They gathered others at Rose Park Elementary because they received a detailed vehicle description. "That's why (gang cops) get to know the gang people. They rat each other off," Linton said.
Police believe the man shot downtown may have been targeted because he was winning the fistfight near 16 W. Market St.
Police do not know why the men were fighting, Linton said.
One of the men retrieved a handgun. He shot at the victim and passed the gun to his friend, who fired twice, Linton said.
The victim was in critical condition when he was transported to the hospital, Linton said.Police arrested one of the men a couple of blocks away. The other man is described as a black adult and skinny. He was wearing a white shirt under a plaid shirt. He was driving a car with a possible Utah license plate of 467 WTN, Linton said.
- Logan couple killed, baby survives in auto...
- BYU conference explores what's next for...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Car hydroplanes, pushes stranded vehicle on...
- Officer being called a hero for saving Salt...
- Firefighter puts injured dog on shoulders,...
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- BYU conference explores what's next for... 68
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 54
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 41
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 38
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 27
- Utah senators seeking support for... 17
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with... 12
- Logan couple killed, baby survives in... 12