NEW YORK In the capital city of sarcasm, Emeka Okafor answered with a straight face when asked about being chosen second rather than first in the NBA draft.
"It made me feel real special, all warm inside," Okafor deadpanned on a night when potential was valued more than experience and high schoolers were a hotter commodity than college kids.
High school senior Dwight Howard of Atlanta was chosen No. 1 by the Orlando Magic, becoming the third prep player in the past four years to be chosen first overall. The expansion Charlotte Bobcats scooped up Okafor at No. 2, getting the player they preferred all along.
"As far as them believing in me, it makes me feel good," Okafor said.
Eight high school players were chosen ahead of Jameer Nelson, the college player of the year who dropped to the Denver Nuggets at No. 20 and was subsequently dealt to Orlando for a future No. 1 pick.
The quest for youth brought an unfamiliar dynamic to a draft night that began with mystery, the identity of the Magic's pick a secret to almost everyone right up until commissioner David Stern walked onstage at Madison Square Garden and delivered the news.
When the pick was announced, Howard's family leaped out of their seats as Okafor's family applauded at the next table. The two players shook hands before Howard became the first player of the evening to be greeted by Stern.
"This feels so good," Howard said. "I want to go out there and prove all the doubters wrong."
A crowd of about 10,000 fans in Charlotte cheered when Okafor was not selected by the Magic, and owner Bob Johnson nodded his head and smiled. Fireworks then exploded, and orange and white confetti and streamers rained down on the cheering crowd.
Bobcats coach Bernie Bickerstaff said Magic general manager John Weisbrod "conveyed" to them Thursday morning that Howard would be their pick. Howard also said his agent was aware all day that he would go No. 1.
Okafor donned an orange Bobcats cap after the second pick was announced, and a large contingent of family and friends cheered loudly from the stands. One held up a sign reading "Okafor the Olympian," a recognition of Okafor's status as a finalist for the U.S. team that will compete in Athens.
Okafor, a junior, averaged 17.6 points for the national champion Connecticut Huskies, and his shot blocking ability and defensive prowess made him a consensus choice to be one of the top two picks.
His UConn teammate, Ben Gordon, went third to the Chicago Bulls, marking the second time in three years teammates have been selected second and third. Jay Williams and Mike Dunleavy of Duke had that distinction in 2002.
"Other people may be surprised, but I always thought I should go No. 1," Gordon said.
High school senior Shaun Livingston of Peoria, Ill., went fourth to the Los Angeles Clippers, who had traded down from No. 2 this week in a deal with the Bobcats. The baby-faced, lanky 6-foot-7 guard had originally committed to play at Duke.
Wisconsin guard Devin Harris was chosen fifth by Washington, which was picking for Dallas as part of a trade agreed to Wednesday night that sends Jerry Stackhouse and Christian Laettner to Dallas and Antawn Jamison to the Wizards.
If the Mavericks keep Harris, he could be a replacement for Steve Nash at point guard if Nash leaves as a free agent. But Dallas was involved in trade discussions with several teams, and even Harris acknowledged he was "clueless" as to what the true identity of his team will be.
Stanford junior Josh Childress went at No. 6 to Atlanta, which had been trying to move into the No. 1 spot.
"This draft in particular, no one had any idea which way it would go," Childress said.
Duke freshman Luol Deng was picked seventh by Phoenix, which traded him to Chicago for a future first-round pick, cash and the rights to the 31st pick, Jackson Vroman. The Suns, who owned three first-round picks before dealing them all away, wanted to get rid of the No. 7 pick to clear enough salary cap room for a maximum salary offer to one of the top free agents.
San Antonio, Denver and Atlanta also have enough room to offer a "max" contract to a free agent class headed by Kobe Bryant and Nash.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 108
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 65
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 31
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 22
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 21
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 13
- Decades later, Thurl Bailey and N.C.... 12