OREM - Charles Smith Merrill, 98, founder of Deseret Mortuary in Salt Lake City and former owner of mortuaries throughout the Mountain West, died May 27, 1988, in an Orem nursing home of causes incident to age.
In 1925 Mr. Merrill purchased the Jacob Wyler home, which he established as Deseret Mortuary, still located at 36 E. Seventh South.At one time he owned 20 mortuaries in Idaho, Utah, Montana and Oregon. Some were known as Merrill Mortuary, but most of the Utah mortuaries carried the name Deseret.
Born April 27, 1890, in Salt Lake City, he was graduated from the University of Utah; served in the military during World War I, and attended a college of mortuary science in California. He operated Mortuary Service Co.; founded Lake Hills Memorial Park in 1953 in Sandy, and was involved in many other types of businesses. (See obituary on B15.)
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 37
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 26