PROVO Former U.S. Sen. Jake Garn endorses Jon Huntsman Jr. in Utah's governor's race.
"We do need to elect a man with his background and ability, which will have such a direct impact on the future economic development of this state," said Garn, who issued the endorsement Thursday while speaking to Provo's Rotary Club.
Huntsman's experience in the business and diplomatic fields Huntsman was the U.S. ambassador to Singapore and also worked as the deputy assistant Secretary of Commerce for East Asian and Pacific Affairs are needed in the governor's office, Garn said.
The GOP field is heavy with candidates.
The list includes former Utah House Speaker Nolan Karras; former 1st Congressional District Rep. Jim Hansen; Utah Sen. Parley Hellewell, R-Orem; Utah County Commissioner Gary Herbert; current Utah House Speaker Marty Stephens, R-Farr West; and businessman Fred Lampropoulos.
Gov. Olene Walker has yet to announce whether she'll join the race.
David Magelby, a Brigham Young University political science professor, said Garn's endorsement is a coup for the Huntsman campaign. But it's not a guarantee of success with party delegates or voters, he said.
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Inmate charged with sending threatening...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 68
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15
- Lawmakers hear support for Medicaid... 15