LDS Church President Ezra Taft Benson was awarded the Presidential Citizens Medal Friday by President Bush.
President Benson, a former secretary of agriculture to President Dwight Eisenhower, is "one of the most distinguished Americans of his time," the medal citation said.He is also a "leader of his church and 60-year friend of the Boy Scouts of America," the citation said.
The medal is given to people who have performed exemplary deeds of service for their country or fellow citizens.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 69
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17