Morton Downey Jr., whose combative, ultraconservative style lifted his talk show from a New Jersey studio to nationwide syndication, announced he has harangued his last guest.
MCA Television, WWOR-TV and Quantum Media Inc., joint owners of the show, said in a statement the final episode was taped on June 30.The companies' statement, released Wednesday, said the show would run no more original segments after Sept. 15, the end of Downey's contract with the stations carrying his show.
The show premiered in the New York area on Oct. 19, 1987 and quickly drew attention for Downey's abrasive style. The show was soon syndicated and by early 1988 was being shown in most major U.S. television markets.
But ratings began to slip last spring.
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 73
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 51
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 30
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 14