Morton Downey Jr., whose combative, ultraconservative style lifted his talk show from a New Jersey studio to nationwide syndication, announced he has harangued his last guest.
MCA Television, WWOR-TV and Quantum Media Inc., joint owners of the show, said in a statement the final episode was taped on June 30.The companies' statement, released Wednesday, said the show would run no more original segments after Sept. 15, the end of Downey's contract with the stations carrying his show.
The show premiered in the New York area on Oct. 19, 1987 and quickly drew attention for Downey's abrasive style. The show was soon syndicated and by early 1988 was being shown in most major U.S. television markets.
But ratings began to slip last spring.
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- Duchesne County man pleads guilty to federal...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 10
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8