Volunteers are currently needed to man phone lines at the Crisis Line.
The next training session runs July 11-13, 18 and 19 from 7 to 9 p.m. Volunteers must be able to attend all five sessions."Volunteers are trained in effective listening skills, agency policies and how to respond to a crisis situation," said Julie McHood, publicity director. "They also learn about other community agencies."
The volunteers agree to work at least one three-hour shift each week. A variety of shifts are available because the Crisis Line operates seven days a week, 24 hours a day. Volunteers are asked to make an eight-month commitment.
"We are in need of the support of dedicated citizens from the community," said director Jennifer Bramwell. "Our best volunteers are ordinary men and women who care about others."
Volunteers do not need prior experience in crisis intervention, but they must be non-judgmental, good listeners and willing to learn the needed skills. Volunteers must also be at least 18 years old.
For information on becoming a Crisis Line volunteer, call the United Way Volunteer Center at 374-8108.
Other community volunteer needs include:
-Community Action, an agency serving the low-income and homeless, is in need of reliable receptionist help on Mondays and Fridays. Volunteers need to have good phone and clerical skills. Volunteers work a four-hour shift each week.
-Girl Scouts are in need of troop leaders and special project coordinators. Work directly with the girls or help organize special events.
For more information on these and other volunteer opportunities, call the United Way Volunteer Center, 374-8108.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 87
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 19
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16