Volunteers are currently needed to man phone lines at the Crisis Line.
The next training session runs July 11-13, 18 and 19 from 7 to 9 p.m. Volunteers must be able to attend all five sessions."Volunteers are trained in effective listening skills, agency policies and how to respond to a crisis situation," said Julie McHood, publicity director. "They also learn about other community agencies."
The volunteers agree to work at least one three-hour shift each week. A variety of shifts are available because the Crisis Line operates seven days a week, 24 hours a day. Volunteers are asked to make an eight-month commitment.
"We are in need of the support of dedicated citizens from the community," said director Jennifer Bramwell. "Our best volunteers are ordinary men and women who care about others."
Volunteers do not need prior experience in crisis intervention, but they must be non-judgmental, good listeners and willing to learn the needed skills. Volunteers must also be at least 18 years old.
For information on becoming a Crisis Line volunteer, call the United Way Volunteer Center at 374-8108.
Other community volunteer needs include:
-Community Action, an agency serving the low-income and homeless, is in need of reliable receptionist help on Mondays and Fridays. Volunteers need to have good phone and clerical skills. Volunteers work a four-hour shift each week.
-Girl Scouts are in need of troop leaders and special project coordinators. Work directly with the girls or help organize special events.
For more information on these and other volunteer opportunities, call the United Way Volunteer Center, 374-8108.
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty to...
- 1 dead in Uintah County after track hoe...
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in Provo
- Farmington woman tumbles 150 feet in hiking...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride Center's...
- Lagoon's Cannibal ride makes late but...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 59
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 42
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 40
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12