Utah State Archives and Records Service will observe Archives Month in October with activities tailored to helping residents learn how they can benefit from the records in everything from genealogy to government research.
The center will provide a series of free classes on various topics along with how to navigate the archives' state and county records and histories.
"We want to reach people who don't know about us yet," said Glen Fairclough, processing and reference archivist. "It is open to every one to help them know the value of the archives and give them a little more information on what they can find and how."The classes offered are as follows:
Oct. 7: "Naturalization Records at the Utah State Archives." This seminar covers the procedural requirements to become a U.S. citizen before and after the process was standardized in 1906 and a discussion of the records created for various categories of individuals and where surviving records may be located.
Oct. 14: "What is Probate? The Process and the Records." A look at the various types of probate records.
Oct. 21: "Keeping Informed Then and Now: Using State and Local Publications." This seminar will provide an overview of government publications.
Oct. 28: "Utah Military Records: Territorial Militia through World War I." The military seminar will focus on the records held by the Archives regarding the participation of Utahns in the territorial militia, the Spanish-American War and Philippine Insurrection, the Mexican Border Campaign and World War I.
The classes will be on Tuesdays from noon to 1 p.m. in the training room on the second floor of the archives building. To make reservations, call the Utah State Archives Research Center at 538-3013 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Video: Utah man uses 'random acts of pasta'...
- Utah lawmakers contemplate law requiring body...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- Proposed tax increase a 'bold move' for...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 70
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 36
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 34
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 27
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 21
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 20