Utah State Archives and Records Service will observe Archives Month in October with activities tailored to helping residents learn how they can benefit from the records in everything from genealogy to government research.
The center will provide a series of free classes on various topics along with how to navigate the archives' state and county records and histories.
"We want to reach people who don't know about us yet," said Glen Fairclough, processing and reference archivist. "It is open to every one to help them know the value of the archives and give them a little more information on what they can find and how."The classes offered are as follows:
Oct. 7: "Naturalization Records at the Utah State Archives." This seminar covers the procedural requirements to become a U.S. citizen before and after the process was standardized in 1906 and a discussion of the records created for various categories of individuals and where surviving records may be located.
Oct. 14: "What is Probate? The Process and the Records." A look at the various types of probate records.
Oct. 21: "Keeping Informed Then and Now: Using State and Local Publications." This seminar will provide an overview of government publications.
Oct. 28: "Utah Military Records: Territorial Militia through World War I." The military seminar will focus on the records held by the Archives regarding the participation of Utahns in the territorial militia, the Spanish-American War and Philippine Insurrection, the Mexican Border Campaign and World War I.
The classes will be on Tuesdays from noon to 1 p.m. in the training room on the second floor of the archives building. To make reservations, call the Utah State Archives Research Center at 538-3013 or e-mail email@example.com.
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental shooting...
- Students dress in Sunday best to honor young...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- About Utah: Now, he's been everywhere
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah universities...
- Home makeover honors refugee family's service...
- 20-year-old woman killed after car veers off...
- Legend of Vernal bank built by bricks sent...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 50
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 47
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 30
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 23
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 18
- Teen in Springville family found dead... 18
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 18