Utah State Archives and Records Service will observe Archives Month in October with activities tailored to helping residents learn how they can benefit from the records in everything from genealogy to government research.
The center will provide a series of free classes on various topics along with how to navigate the archives' state and county records and histories.
"We want to reach people who don't know about us yet," said Glen Fairclough, processing and reference archivist. "It is open to every one to help them know the value of the archives and give them a little more information on what they can find and how."The classes offered are as follows:
Oct. 7: "Naturalization Records at the Utah State Archives." This seminar covers the procedural requirements to become a U.S. citizen before and after the process was standardized in 1906 and a discussion of the records created for various categories of individuals and where surviving records may be located.
Oct. 14: "What is Probate? The Process and the Records." A look at the various types of probate records.
Oct. 21: "Keeping Informed Then and Now: Using State and Local Publications." This seminar will provide an overview of government publications.
Oct. 28: "Utah Military Records: Territorial Militia through World War I." The military seminar will focus on the records held by the Archives regarding the participation of Utahns in the territorial militia, the Spanish-American War and Philippine Insurrection, the Mexican Border Campaign and World War I.
The classes will be on Tuesdays from noon to 1 p.m. in the training room on the second floor of the archives building. To make reservations, call the Utah State Archives Research Center at 538-3013 or e-mail email@example.com.
- 'Bachelorette' contestant, BYU graduate dies...
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- Report: Colleagues wondered if A.G. Mark...
- Powell family fires back at recent court...
- Windstorm topples trees, trucks, power poles...
- Mark Shurtleff says new report based on 'tall...
- Fundraiser established for 2-year-old who was...
- Vegas’ water drying up
- U. student government passes resolution... 105
- Utah's new adaptive testing system... 59
- Utah among states with greatest urban... 46
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging... 27
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 25
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the... 23
- Report: Colleagues wondered if A.G.... 21
- GOP resolution calls for partisan... 20