Jon Huntsman Jr. filed papers Wednesday with the state elections office setting up a campaign committee.
Such papers are required before a candidate can officially raise cash or make expenditures on a campaign.
The filing was expected. Huntsman, a 43-year-old Republican, resigned his post as a trade ambassador in the Bush administration last spring and returned to Utah to begin contacting GOP delegates and party faithful in a bid for the governorship.
At the time, Huntsman, oldest son of industrialist/philanthropist Jon M. Huntsman, said he would not challenge GOP Gov. Mike Leavitt, should Leavitt seek a fourth term.
Last month Bush tapped Leavitt to become the new administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, and Leavitt, anticipating Senate confirmation, said he would not run for re-election next year.
That cleared the way for Huntsman's official entry into the race, which could have a dozen Republican contenders before the candidate filing deadline passes in mid-March 2004.
Through a press release, Huntsman said: "The overriding need in Utah is creating high-paying and stable jobs for the prosperity of future generations. To accomplish that, our state's economy needs to be highly competitive in growth industries. And to be competitive, our children need and deserve a world-class education. This requires vision, experience and leadership."
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Long-awaited Jeremy Johnson fraud trial kicks...
- Ex-social worker to plead guilty to sex with...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 55
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 36
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 12