Mystery continued to surround two southern Idaho murder cases on Monday as investigators searched for explanations in Shoshone and Idaho Falls.
A memorial service was held in Shoshone for Denise McCoy, 33, and her children, Genevieve King, 12; Jordan King, 10; Chelsea King, 8; and Adrianna McCoy, 2. They were shot to death last Tuesday night, apparently by the friend of the man McCoy intended to marry this summer.But authorities say they have come up with no reason why Walter Schoolcraft, 47, a sharecropper on a nearby Magic Valley farm, would have killed McCoy and her children and then turned the rifle on himself.
And in the Upper Snake River Valley, police are flatly admitting they have a mystery on their hands in the slaying of Angie Raye Dodge, 19, who was found with her throat slashed in her apartment early last Thursday.
"She was a great person," said Heather Ladd, who knew Dodge for a year. "She didn't deserve this. We just want to know why."
Crime Stoppers is offering a $2,000 reward for information leading to Dodge's killer, but nothing of substance has apparently materialized.
The preliminary investigation by police turned up what may be signs of a short struggle in the apartment that Dodge had moved into just a month ago. There was no sign of forced entry into the apartment and Dodge's landlady, who lives downstairs, told police she did not hear anything unusual during the night.
Dodge never would have invited someone she did not know well into her apartment, said Jessica Martinez, another friend. The door to the apartment locked automatically, but there was a balcony with an attached fire escape, and she speculated that someone could have climbed into the apartment from the balcony.
The only odd thing her friends have remembered was a poem someone left in Dodge's car while she was shopping about two weeks ago. Dodge said it warned her to stay away from her then-boyfriend Christian Grebstad.
Grebstad, who dated Dodge until last week, said he is still in shock over her death. He found out about the murder when a police officer came to question at work.
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- Logan man killed in Idaho car crash
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 39
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- Scalia's death leaves major void in... 24
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11