Ray Combs, a comedian who followed Richard Dawson as host of the game show "Family Feud," committed suicide hours after he was taken to a hospital, police said.
Combs, 40, hanged himself at the Glendale Adventist Medical Center, an unidentified friend told Los Angeles radio station KFWB. He arrived at the hospital Saturday afternoon with a head injury."His death was definitely a suicide," said police Sgt. Tom Kuh.
Both police and hospital officials refused to comment on the report that Combs hanged himself, only saying that he died of respiratory failure. He was pronounced dead at the suburban Los Angeles hospital early Sunday, said spokeswoman Alicia Gonzalez.
Paramedics brought him to the hospital Saturday with a head injury, Gonzalez said. The Journal News in Combs' hometown of Hamilton, Ohio, reported Monday that Combs hit his head falling into his Jacuzzi Saturday.
Between 1988 and 1994, Combs was the host of "The New Family Feud," on CBS, a version of the ABC game show that ran between 1977 and 1985 with Richard Dawson as master of ceremonies. Dawson later replaced Combs in 1994, returning to the show that pitted families against each other in a game of survey audience questions.
Most recently, he was host of another game show, "Ray Combs' Family Challenge," on the Family Channel. He operated two comedy clubs in Cincinnati but eventually closed them both.
Combs was seriously injured in a July 1994 car accident on a highway north of Los Angeles, leaving him temporarily paralyzed. He moved his wife and six children from Hamilton to Los Angeles in November 1994.
He is survived by his parents, Ray Combs Sr. and Anita Jean, his wife, Debbie, and six children.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Police investigating man who barricaded...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 53
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should scientists be allowed to change... 10