Students from Utah schools have won more than $39,000 from the Pepsi Cola Co. for hoarding pop bottle caps for recycling, spokeswoman Beth Wolfer said Friday.
The winning schools had the highest ratio of bottle caps per student, which gave smaller schools an equal chance, said Wolfer. Each school received a check for their caps and a certificate for a video cassette recorder.Students across the state collected 780,000 caps, which were donated to the Hogle Zoo recycling program.
Milford Elementary School, Milford, collected about 9,800 caps and earned $790, said Wolfer. Springdale Elementary School, Springdale, earned about $450 with almost 3,000 caps; Grand County Middle School, Moab, earned $415; Salt Lake Lutheran High School earned $337 and Conqueror's Academy, a private elementary school in Midvale, earned $321.
Wolfer said most schools planned to spend the money on extras such as playground equipment or field trips.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 44
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 32
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29