Two men convicted of shooting a third man to death near Willard Bay have been sentenced to up to life in prison.
Brandon Dahlquist and Travis Telford on Tuesday were given five-year-to-life terms by 1st District Judge Ben Hadfield, who also added an additional year to their sentences for using a firearm during the commission of a felony.Dahlquist, 20, of Morgan, and Telford, 23, of Ogden, were convicted of murder in the death of 20-year-old Troy Michael Weston at Willard Bay on March 12, 1994.
Dahlquist is already in prison for check fraud. Hadfield ruled Dahlquist will have to finish out that sentence before he can begin serving the murder term.
Box Elder County Attorney Jon Bunderson portrayed both men as hardened drug addicts who didn't flinch when they plotted and then carried out Weston's death.
Dahlquist in particular showed little mercy for his victim, Bunderson said.
"Rehabilitation in his case is not going to happen," Bunderson said. "The jury believed this was the trigger man."
Jurors heard seven days of testimony at a trial in which prosecution witnesses said the men were angry at Weston for selling them diluted drugs.
They beat Weston at a party days before the shooting. Later, they picked him up at his home, drove him to the South Dike at the bay and killed him.
Dahlquist admitted to shooting Weston several times.
Dahlquist's attorney, Kent Snider, scoffed at Bunderson's suggestion that Weston's death was planned and said his client needed help in battling his drug addiction.
Mike Bouwhuis, Telford's attorney, said his client was too afraid of Dahlquist to stop the shooting.
Robin Weston, Troy's mother, told Hadfield that Dahlquist showed little remorse and deserved a harsh sentence.
"He's done nothing but brag about it since he did it," she said.
Even so, Hadfield told both Dahlquist and Telford they still have a chance to change their ways.
"Having two boys spend all their lives in prison won't help one family," Hadfield said. "It's hard to know which family has suffered the worst."
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 35
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13