A Murray High School English and Spanish teacher was named the Murray School District Teacher of the Year, and a custodian at an elementary school became the district's Employee of the Year during a special ceremony at the Murray Board of Education Wednesday night.
Ornona Ruegner, who has taught at Murray High School for 19 years, and Gary Pehrson, head custodian at Horizon Elementary School, received plaques and $100 each during the presentation by board Chairman George I. Brown.Ruegner, who is also the adviser to the Murray High School Chapter of the National Honor Society, was described as a teacher who dons Mexican clothing for special occasions, takes her classes to Mexican restaurants and loves having her students battle with pinatas.
David A. Smith, Horizon principal, described Pehrson as an employee who takes the initiative and is respected by both students and teachers.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Mount Timpanogos trail temporarily closing...
- Blue Moon Festival is Aug. 6 in Holladay
- Orem police invest in new armor to protect...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 75
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 25
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14
- Rep. Mia Love buying $1M in TV ads for... 13