Two 18-year-olds familiar with the criminal justice system have been charged in the shooting death of a man near Capitol Hill Wednesday.
Glen Jackman, 18, and Jim Delli, 18, were charged with criminal homicide, a first-degree felony, for allegedly shooting Manuel Portillo after an apparent robbery at 458 N. 300 West.Portillo, a Mexican national, was shot in the arm and the back just after midnight Dec. 20.
Jackman and Delli were arrested after the shooting.
According to 3rd Circuit Court documents, Portillo was walking down the street with another man when they were approached by Delli and Jackman. Delli told the men to give him their money and another man pulled out a gun and shot five times, the court documents state.
Portillo's friend told police he saw Jackman throw the gun against the building after Portillo fell down.
Portillo, who would have celebrated his 23rd birthday Friday, was taken to an area hospital where he died shortly after arrival.
An autopsy performed by the state medical examiner ruled Portillo's death a homicide.
Jackman was convicted of attempted murder as a juvenile in 1993 after shooting a man at the Utah State Fair.
Gilbert Arredondo, 20, was shot in the back by Jackman, who said his friends told him to do it and he was afraid not to shoot.
Jackman, then 16, spent six months at an Orem group home and seven months at Decker Lake for the shooting.
He was paroled from the lock-up juvenile facility March 9.
Delli was charged with attempted murder in December of 1993, but the case was dismissed two weeks later.
The men remain in the Salt Lake County Jail with bails set at $250,000 each.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- 'Catastrophic' arson fire destroys 10 Tooele...
- West Valley man killed in motorcycle crash...
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14