Two 18-year-olds familiar with the criminal justice system have been charged in the shooting death of a man near Capitol Hill Wednesday.
Glen Jackman, 18, and Jim Delli, 18, were charged with criminal homicide, a first-degree felony, for allegedly shooting Manuel Portillo after an apparent robbery at 458 N. 300 West.Portillo, a Mexican national, was shot in the arm and the back just after midnight Dec. 20.
Jackman and Delli were arrested after the shooting.
According to 3rd Circuit Court documents, Portillo was walking down the street with another man when they were approached by Delli and Jackman. Delli told the men to give him their money and another man pulled out a gun and shot five times, the court documents state.
Portillo's friend told police he saw Jackman throw the gun against the building after Portillo fell down.
Portillo, who would have celebrated his 23rd birthday Friday, was taken to an area hospital where he died shortly after arrival.
An autopsy performed by the state medical examiner ruled Portillo's death a homicide.
Jackman was convicted of attempted murder as a juvenile in 1993 after shooting a man at the Utah State Fair.
Gilbert Arredondo, 20, was shot in the back by Jackman, who said his friends told him to do it and he was afraid not to shoot.
Jackman, then 16, spent six months at an Orem group home and seven months at Decker Lake for the shooting.
He was paroled from the lock-up juvenile facility March 9.
Delli was charged with attempted murder in December of 1993, but the case was dismissed two weeks later.
The men remain in the Salt Lake County Jail with bails set at $250,000 each.
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Police identify body found on Ben Lomond...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he...
- 107 years of Grace: Cedar City resident still...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds, high...
- In time for the holidays, S.L. Comic Con...
- New barriers, other security measures to...
- 200 gather at Utah Capitol in support... 47
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 30
- U. professor, students call on SCOTUS... 29
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 29
- Anatomy of a trip: The Utah-Switzerland... 23
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 20
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 15