Two 18-year-olds familiar with the criminal justice system have been charged in the shooting death of a man near Capitol Hill Wednesday.
Glen Jackman, 18, and Jim Delli, 18, were charged with criminal homicide, a first-degree felony, for allegedly shooting Manuel Portillo after an apparent robbery at 458 N. 300 West.Portillo, a Mexican national, was shot in the arm and the back just after midnight Dec. 20.
Jackman and Delli were arrested after the shooting.
According to 3rd Circuit Court documents, Portillo was walking down the street with another man when they were approached by Delli and Jackman. Delli told the men to give him their money and another man pulled out a gun and shot five times, the court documents state.
Portillo's friend told police he saw Jackman throw the gun against the building after Portillo fell down.
Portillo, who would have celebrated his 23rd birthday Friday, was taken to an area hospital where he died shortly after arrival.
An autopsy performed by the state medical examiner ruled Portillo's death a homicide.
Jackman was convicted of attempted murder as a juvenile in 1993 after shooting a man at the Utah State Fair.
Gilbert Arredondo, 20, was shot in the back by Jackman, who said his friends told him to do it and he was afraid not to shoot.
Jackman, then 16, spent six months at an Orem group home and seven months at Decker Lake for the shooting.
He was paroled from the lock-up juvenile facility March 9.
Delli was charged with attempted murder in December of 1993, but the case was dismissed two weeks later.
The men remain in the Salt Lake County Jail with bails set at $250,000 each.
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- 3 South Jordan siblings battling rare disease...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Ex-Tabiona High teacher sent to prison for...
- Police chief of Myton charged with stalking 3...
- Police break silence about controversial...
- Utah, Western states say feds are all wet on...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 80
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 67
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Police break silence about... 47
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 23
- New definition of homeless would give... 20
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 15