Santa's making his list. And low-income families that want to be on it for extra Christmas help need to fill out an application this month.
The Salt Lake Christmas Coordinating Council has been taking applications since mid-September and will continue through November. It's also seeking people who want to provide toys and clothing to needy children who might otherwise do without.The council is a coalition of programs that have banded together to eliminate duplication and maximize resources. Recipients who qualify for holiday assistance are placed in different programs, depending on their need.
The Deseret News and The Salt Lake Tribune operate the Sub for Santa program, which serves the families who have the greatest needs. In Sub for Santa, individuals, corporations, families and organizations "adopt" a family, providing moderate gifts of clothing, toys and in some cases food. The program is geared to children ages 3 to 15.
The other council members are the U.S. Marine Reserves Toys for Tots, KUTV 2NEWS and the Salvation Army Angel Tree, Catholic Community Services Gift of the Drummer and the Community Action Program CAPS Christmas.
Eligibility for all programs is based on income, with age and other requirements specific to each program.
Parents who want to apply for assistance must call 575-7166, which takes them to a phone bank staffed primarily by volunteers at The Salvation Army's location near the Rio Grande Depot. Callers will then be assigned an appointment at one of three locations in the Salt Lake Valley.
More than 300 families are already waiting to be adopted in the Sub for Santa program.
To adopt a family, call 237-2180.
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- West Nile activity discovered in four Utah...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising concerns...
- Ogden police shoot dog that was allegedly...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 20
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 16
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 13