A cocaine bust culminated in five arrests this weekend, including that of Ian K. Lawlor, manager of the Logan Golf and Country Club.
In addition to Lawlor, 63, of River Heights, law officers arrested Brian R. Wilson, 39, of Millville; Robert Allen Pyke, 43, of Logan; Val J. Abbott, 41, of Salt Lake City; and Rodney Perschon, 36, also of Salt Lake City.All were booked into the Cache County Jail for investigation of felony distribution and possession of cocaine. All five had bailed out by Sunday, jail records showed.
Police said that no court hearings had been scheduled for any of the five as of Monday.
Logan Police Lt. Craig R. Andrews said the crackdown halted an operation that allegedly dealt about two kilos of cocaine a month to 35 to 45 clients. The bust culminated a six-month multiagency investigation.
He said authorities consider the five suspects "major players" in the local drug trade.
"This valley is going to feel the effect because there are multiple users who are going to have to recognize their problem and stop or find other suppliers. We know who these users are and will be making contact with them," Andrews said.
The arrests began last Thursday, and Andrews said police seized five ounces of cocaine and $6,000 cash. Police also seized computers, four vehicles and a fifth-wheel trailer home because the vehicles allegedly were used in drug transactions.
Andrews said citizen and informant tips about narcotics traffic led to the arrests, and more are anticipated.
The Logan SWAT and the Utah Highway Patrol assisted in the arrest of Wilson, Perschon and Abbot Thursday near Wellsville Canyon. Lawlor was arrested Saturday at the country club, and Pyke was arrested in Logan.
Agencies involved in the investigation included the Logan City Police Department, Cache County Sheriff's Office, Tri-County Narcotics Strike Force, local FBI agents, Adult Probation and Parole, the Utah Division of Investigation, and the Weber County and Cache County attorneys.
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- Recreation, crowds and challenges: What's...
- About Utah: He never yelled, but he sure did...
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Herriman man says his brain tumor felt like a...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 49
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 37
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 36
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 17
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12
- Salt Lake police looking for horses,... 10
- Survey: Utah residents want crops, not... 10
- National report shows high overall... 9