Actress Kim Basinger, a Georgia native, has bought virtually the entire town of Braselton for $20 million in cash, the mayor said.
Henry Braselton, grandson of the town's founder, said his family agreed to sell all of the commercial property and some private homes in this small north Georgia town about 40 miles northeast of Atlanta. About 500 people live in the town. Basinger had been negotiating to buy the 1,600 acres for about 18 months, Braselton said.She will not get homes not owned by the Braselton family or the property owned by the town government.
The 34-year-old Basinger grew up in Athens but left at age 17 for New York City to become a model. From there, she went into acting, starring in such movies as "The Natural," and "91/2 Weeks." She also stars in the soon-to-be-released film "Batman."
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 158
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 75
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 48
- Police release names of officers... 36
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 33
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 17