Floodwaters came close but caused no damage to Jimmy Carter's home in Plains.
"He's high and dry," said Hugh Carter, the former president's cousin.Jimmy Carter was in Japan when heavy rains from the remnants of Tropical Storm Alberto caused creeks to flood in Plains.
The Kountry Korner cafe and the Peanut Gallery, a grocery store, were flooded in downtown Plains, but Carter's nearby home was untouched.
The peanut business once owned by the Carter family also was undamaged, Hugh Carter said, but some peanut fields could be flooded.
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- The truth about addiction
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 52
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 37
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 28
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 13
- Precedents — and exceptions... 12