Charged with attempted murder
ALSO KNOWN AS: Garfield Alford Jr.
AGE: 30 DATE OF BIRTH: Nov. 10, 1963
PLACE OF BIRTH: Illinois
HAIR: Black EYES: Brown
WEIGHT: 270-290 pounds HEIGHT: 6 feet, 0 inches
BUILD: Large SCARS: Distinct scar on right hand
CHARGE: Attempted murder, aggravated burglary, violation of spouse abuse protection order, unlawful flight
On June 15, Barbara Alford received three telephone calls from her husband, Garfield Alford. Each time she told him she didn't want to have any contact with him.
About 11 that night, the power suddenly went off and Garfield Alford broke through the front door, calling to his wife, court documents state. A friend who was there with Barbara tried to phone the police, but the line was dead.
Barbara Alford told police her husband then stabbed her in the side with a knife and tried to stab her again. The knife went into her liver, causing a critical injury. She also received a knife wound on her left hand. Doctors later gave her six units of blood.
Garfield Alford is a truck driver for an interstate trucking firm. He has a Utah driver's license, and the FBI says he has the means to flee the state. He has relatives and friends in Illinois and Michigan.
The latest attack is one of several complaints filed against him for beating his wife. He has an extensive criminal history that includes several counts of domestic violence, assault, cruelty to a child, possession of a stolen vehicle and resisting arrest. The FBI warns he should be considered armed and dangerous.
Utah Crime Solvers will pay up to $1,000 for information leading to the arrest and binding over of the suspect in this case. Anyone with information is encouraged to call Utah Crime Solvers at 964-CALL or 1-800-972-CALL. Or call the FBI at 579-1400. It is not necessary to give your name when providing information.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 63
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 46
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 21
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 17
- Two Utah schools under federal... 10
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 9