Harry Donl Peterson, age 64, died March 21, 1994 at home of cancer.
He was born February 17, 1930, in Lehi, Utah, to Harry C. and Mada Peck Peterson. He married his sweetheart, Mary Lou Schenk, on March 18, 1953, in the Salt Lake Temple.As a young man he served in the Western States Mission, and served as second counselor in the mission presidency. Donl's voice was distinctive and powerful, and he worked as a disc jockey as he went to college.
Donl received his BS and MS degrees at Brigham Young University, and his doctorate at Washington State University. He taught seminary at Globe, Arizona, and Murray, Utah; then continued as Institute Director at Dixie College and Washington State University. The remainder of his 39 years of teaching was at BYU in the College of Religion. He truly loved and revered his colleagues in that department.
Donl authored many articles, several books, and contributed to four Gospel Doctrine Manuals on church writing committees. His occupation, his hobby, and his life centered around teaching the gospel.
He served as a bishop three times, in the North Central Park Ward, Salt Lake, BYU 12th Ward, and BYU 2nd Ward. He also served in bishoprics and branch presidencies in North Central Park, Orem 16th Ward, and the first Jerusalem Branch. He served on three high councils and was recently released after five years as the stake president of the BYU 15th Stake.
His wife and children were the joy of his life. His children are: Terry (Sherry) Peterson; Diane (Scott) Lee; Jacqueline Peterson; Scott (Tracie) Peterson; James (Lisa) Peterson; Michael (Megen) Peterson; and 15 grandchildren; his two sisters are Jilene (Lincoln) Card; and Peggy (Lynn) Lowe.
Funeral services, Friday, 11 a.m. at the Northridge Stake Center, 1674 North 200 West, Orem. Friends may call Thursday evening at Walker Sanderson Funeral Home at 646 East 800 North, Orem, from 6 until 8 p.m. Friends may also call 9:45-10:45 prior to the services at the stake center. Burial will be at the Orem City Cemetery.
T 3/23 N 3/23
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Protest ride results in charges against...
- World War II veterans grateful for...
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Police: Panhandler pulls woman from car after...
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 38
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- New definition of homeless would give... 24
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 18