Harry Donl Peterson, age 64, died March 21, 1994 at home of cancer.
He was born February 17, 1930, in Lehi, Utah, to Harry C. and Mada Peck Peterson. He married his sweetheart, Mary Lou Schenk, on March 18, 1953, in the Salt Lake Temple.As a young man he served in the Western States Mission, and served as second counselor in the mission presidency. Donl's voice was distinctive and powerful, and he worked as a disc jockey as he went to college.
Donl received his BS and MS degrees at Brigham Young University, and his doctorate at Washington State University. He taught seminary at Globe, Arizona, and Murray, Utah; then continued as Institute Director at Dixie College and Washington State University. The remainder of his 39 years of teaching was at BYU in the College of Religion. He truly loved and revered his colleagues in that department.
Donl authored many articles, several books, and contributed to four Gospel Doctrine Manuals on church writing committees. His occupation, his hobby, and his life centered around teaching the gospel.
He served as a bishop three times, in the North Central Park Ward, Salt Lake, BYU 12th Ward, and BYU 2nd Ward. He also served in bishoprics and branch presidencies in North Central Park, Orem 16th Ward, and the first Jerusalem Branch. He served on three high councils and was recently released after five years as the stake president of the BYU 15th Stake.
His wife and children were the joy of his life. His children are: Terry (Sherry) Peterson; Diane (Scott) Lee; Jacqueline Peterson; Scott (Tracie) Peterson; James (Lisa) Peterson; Michael (Megen) Peterson; and 15 grandchildren; his two sisters are Jilene (Lincoln) Card; and Peggy (Lynn) Lowe.
Funeral services, Friday, 11 a.m. at the Northridge Stake Center, 1674 North 200 West, Orem. Friends may call Thursday evening at Walker Sanderson Funeral Home at 646 East 800 North, Orem, from 6 until 8 p.m. Friends may also call 9:45-10:45 prior to the services at the stake center. Burial will be at the Orem City Cemetery.
T 3/23 N 3/23
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 43
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29