Ty Murray of Stephenville, Texas, won his fifth straight all-around title and added a bull riding title Sunday at the $2.7 million National Finals Rodeo despite a strong run by Daryl Mills of Canada.
Murray, who has had the flu the last six days, won the bull riding championship by a scant $95 with $124,659 in bull riding earnings this year. Murray set a record for season earnings with his $297,896 haul in three events.Bareback rider Deb Greenough of Red Lodge, Mont., claimed his first world championship Sunday, boosted by an 80-point, $12,002 win in the NFR's final round. Greenough collected $128,740 - a bareback riding earnings record - on the season.
Team roper Bobby Hurley of Ceres, Calif., also won his first world championship after he and his roping partner, Allen Bach of Merced, Calif., won the final five rounds of the NFR. Hurley earned $86,858.
Another first-time champ was saddle bronc rider Dan Mortensen of Manhattan, Mont., who earned $150,062 in 1993.
Calf roper Joe Beaver of Huntsville, Texas, earned $118,787 for his fifth calf roping title.
Charmayne Rodman of Galt, Calif., won her 10th consecutive barrel racing title with $103,610 in season earnings, stretching her record for most world championships in a single event.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- West Nile activity discovered in three Utah...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- Union Pacific train makes special... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12