Ty Murray of Stephenville, Texas, won his fifth straight all-around title and added a bull riding title Sunday at the $2.7 million National Finals Rodeo despite a strong run by Daryl Mills of Canada.
Murray, who has had the flu the last six days, won the bull riding championship by a scant $95 with $124,659 in bull riding earnings this year. Murray set a record for season earnings with his $297,896 haul in three events.Bareback rider Deb Greenough of Red Lodge, Mont., claimed his first world championship Sunday, boosted by an 80-point, $12,002 win in the NFR's final round. Greenough collected $128,740 - a bareback riding earnings record - on the season.
Team roper Bobby Hurley of Ceres, Calif., also won his first world championship after he and his roping partner, Allen Bach of Merced, Calif., won the final five rounds of the NFR. Hurley earned $86,858.
Another first-time champ was saddle bronc rider Dan Mortensen of Manhattan, Mont., who earned $150,062 in 1993.
Calf roper Joe Beaver of Huntsville, Texas, earned $118,787 for his fifth calf roping title.
Charmayne Rodman of Galt, Calif., won her 10th consecutive barrel racing title with $103,610 in season earnings, stretching her record for most world championships in a single event.
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- Salt Lake County cities, school districts...
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- What went right: How one Orem family turned...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Recreation, crowds and challenges: What's...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 48
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 37
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 33
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 16
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12
- Salt Lake police looking for horses,... 10
- Survey: Utah residents want crops, not... 10
- National report shows high overall... 9