Ty Murray of Stephenville, Texas, won his fifth straight all-around title and added a bull riding title Sunday at the $2.7 million National Finals Rodeo despite a strong run by Daryl Mills of Canada.
Murray, who has had the flu the last six days, won the bull riding championship by a scant $95 with $124,659 in bull riding earnings this year. Murray set a record for season earnings with his $297,896 haul in three events.Bareback rider Deb Greenough of Red Lodge, Mont., claimed his first world championship Sunday, boosted by an 80-point, $12,002 win in the NFR's final round. Greenough collected $128,740 - a bareback riding earnings record - on the season.
Team roper Bobby Hurley of Ceres, Calif., also won his first world championship after he and his roping partner, Allen Bach of Merced, Calif., won the final five rounds of the NFR. Hurley earned $86,858.
Another first-time champ was saddle bronc rider Dan Mortensen of Manhattan, Mont., who earned $150,062 in 1993.
Calf roper Joe Beaver of Huntsville, Texas, earned $118,787 for his fifth calf roping title.
Charmayne Rodman of Galt, Calif., won her 10th consecutive barrel racing title with $103,610 in season earnings, stretching her record for most world championships in a single event.
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Fallen hiker had passion for the outdoors,...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Provo company creates program that filters...
- West Jordan, Murray residents search for...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 56
- Vernal man claims police arrested him... 37
- Utah argues for more time to file... 33
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 27
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22