A pilot's urgent need to urinate while flying his F-16C fighter jet caused the aircraft to crash and cost the U.S. Air Force $18 million, a newspaper reported Thursday.
The warjet went down on Sept. 8, 1992, in Turkey. The pilot, Lt. Col. Don Snelgrove, safely ejected.Snelgrove lost control of the fighter jet while attempting to urinate into a "piddle-pack," said the Stars and Stripes, the unofficial newspaper of the U.S. military.
A "piddle-pack" is a dehydrated sponge in a plastic container.
According to the newspaper, Snelgrove and another jet took off from the Incirlik Air Base in Turkey and were supposed to fly to the northwestern corner of Iraq to patrol the no-fly zone there.
Snelgrove had to urinate badly, so that's when the calamity began.
According to the newspaper, Snelgrove set the aircraft on automatic pilot and undid his lap belt.
The belt's buckle got wedged between the ejection seat and the side-stick controller, which is used to turn the aircraft, the newspaper said.
Snelgrove adjusted the seat upward, sending the side-stick controller to the right and the jet out of control, the newspaper said.
The jet fell into a spin and plunged 33,000 feet to about 2,000 feet as Snelgrove sought futilely to regain control. He finally had to eject.
The Stars and Stripes said it got its information from an official U.S. Air Force report on the accident.
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah man...
- Mia Love announces she's officially running...
- GOP delegates reject changes to nominating...
- Airport TRAX ridership remains strong weeks...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- Early diagnosis may be key in slowing...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 65
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 46
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 27
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 27
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 20
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Mormon missionary age announcement... 15
- Swallow headlines spark question:... 12