Eduardo Balderas, 81, a Spanish translator for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for 38 years, died Jan. 6, 1989, in Salt Lake City.
Mr. Balderas was a prominent member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, serving as a Spanish translator for church leaders and in converting texts and books into Spanish.Born Sept. 14, 1907, in Mexico City, Mexico, he was the son of Jose Apolinar and Maria Centeno Balderas. He married Rhea Ross on Oct. 10, 1935, in the Mesa LDS Temple. She preceded him in death on June 23, 1986.
Early in life, Mr. Balderas moved to El Paso, Texas, where he entertained for years as a singer. He filled an LDS mission to Mexico and was a Spanish translator for the church. He translated several books and magazines including the "Articles of Faith," "Jesus the Christ," "A Marvelous Work and a Wonder," "The Doctrine and Covenants," "Pearl of Great Price," "The Miracle of Forgiveness," "The Joseph Smith Story," "The Temple Ceremony" and the LDS hymnal.
As a member of the Mexican Branch in Salt Lake City, he served in the branch presidency. He later served as a high councilor in the Temple View Stake and was a temple worker and sealer for both English and Spanish speaking ceremonies. He later served as a patriarch in the Temple View and Parleys stakes. He traveled extensively throughout Spanish-speaking countries giving blessings to people in their native language.
He also traveled extensively with church leaders to Spanish-speaking countries where he served as a translator.
The funeral will be at noon Wednesday at the Parleys 5th Ward, 2615 E. Stringham Ave. Friends and family may call Tuesday 6-8 p.m. at Mackay Cottonwood Mortuary, 4670 S. Highland Drive. Interment will be in the McKay Holladay Memorial Park, 4900 S. Memory Lane.
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy don't...
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support to...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- 3 'scary' medical problems for kids
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 109
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 97
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 43
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 31
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 17