Eduardo Balderas, 81, a Spanish translator for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for 38 years, died Jan. 6, 1989, in Salt Lake City.
Mr. Balderas was a prominent member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, serving as a Spanish translator for church leaders and in converting texts and books into Spanish.Born Sept. 14, 1907, in Mexico City, Mexico, he was the son of Jose Apolinar and Maria Centeno Balderas. He married Rhea Ross on Oct. 10, 1935, in the Mesa LDS Temple. She preceded him in death on June 23, 1986.
Early in life, Mr. Balderas moved to El Paso, Texas, where he entertained for years as a singer. He filled an LDS mission to Mexico and was a Spanish translator for the church. He translated several books and magazines including the "Articles of Faith," "Jesus the Christ," "A Marvelous Work and a Wonder," "The Doctrine and Covenants," "Pearl of Great Price," "The Miracle of Forgiveness," "The Joseph Smith Story," "The Temple Ceremony" and the LDS hymnal.
As a member of the Mexican Branch in Salt Lake City, he served in the branch presidency. He later served as a high councilor in the Temple View Stake and was a temple worker and sealer for both English and Spanish speaking ceremonies. He later served as a patriarch in the Temple View and Parleys stakes. He traveled extensively throughout Spanish-speaking countries giving blessings to people in their native language.
He also traveled extensively with church leaders to Spanish-speaking countries where he served as a translator.
The funeral will be at noon Wednesday at the Parleys 5th Ward, 2615 E. Stringham Ave. Friends and family may call Tuesday 6-8 p.m. at Mackay Cottonwood Mortuary, 4670 S. Highland Drive. Interment will be in the McKay Holladay Memorial Park, 4900 S. Memory Lane.
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes into...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Investigation underway after man's body found...
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 21
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 17
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 16
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12