Some things in life should never change: New Year's Eve on Time's Square, for instance; religious rites; the singing of the "Star Spangled Banner" at the beginning of every baseball game, and the familiar antics and theatrics of the Harlem Globetrotters.From the opening bars of "Sweet Georgia Brown" to the final flying slam-dunk, you know what's coming up next in their routine, and you laugh yourself silly waiting.
Now, on Jan. 16, 7:30 p.m. at the Salt Palace, the Trotters will be strutting for local fans. On Jan. 17 the show shifts south to Provo for a 7:30 game at the BYU Marriott Center.
The Globetrotters' track record is unequaled, of course. The team's stats have been trotted out before: 100 million adults have seen them in 103 countries, they're on a 6,278-game winning streak, they're in their 63rd season, and they've played both Wagga Wagga and Walla Walla (the former in Australia, the latter in Washington).
They're known as America's Goodwill Ambassadors. Names like "Meadowlark," "Geese" and "Curly" would make any basketball Hall of Fame team anywhere.
This year James "Twiggy" Sanders is the front man, doing most of the skits and jawing with the crowd. He's joined in the starting line-up by dribbler extraordinaire Tyrone Brown, slam dunks specialist J.B. "Downtown" Brown, rebounding whiz Dedrick Reffigee and three-point man Clyde "The Glide" Austin.
Tickets are $10 and $9 (in Salt Lake City) $9 and $8 in Provo, with a special discount for kids under 12 and senior citizens. There are also discounts for groups. Smith'sTix and the Salt Palace are handling ticket sales.
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Wyoming authorities to speak about Utah rail...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- Utah man building Disneyland out of Legos...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a...
- Fruit Heights to shut off water system...
- Deerlodge Road to undergo $5.6M in improvements
- 8 Utahns given Bronze Minuteman Awards
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 61
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 35
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25