Some things in life should never change: New Year's Eve on Time's Square, for instance; religious rites; the singing of the "Star Spangled Banner" at the beginning of every baseball game, and the familiar antics and theatrics of the Harlem Globetrotters.From the opening bars of "Sweet Georgia Brown" to the final flying slam-dunk, you know what's coming up next in their routine, and you laugh yourself silly waiting.
Now, on Jan. 16, 7:30 p.m. at the Salt Palace, the Trotters will be strutting for local fans. On Jan. 17 the show shifts south to Provo for a 7:30 game at the BYU Marriott Center.
The Globetrotters' track record is unequaled, of course. The team's stats have been trotted out before: 100 million adults have seen them in 103 countries, they're on a 6,278-game winning streak, they're in their 63rd season, and they've played both Wagga Wagga and Walla Walla (the former in Australia, the latter in Washington).
They're known as America's Goodwill Ambassadors. Names like "Meadowlark," "Geese" and "Curly" would make any basketball Hall of Fame team anywhere.
This year James "Twiggy" Sanders is the front man, doing most of the skits and jawing with the crowd. He's joined in the starting line-up by dribbler extraordinaire Tyrone Brown, slam dunks specialist J.B. "Downtown" Brown, rebounding whiz Dedrick Reffigee and three-point man Clyde "The Glide" Austin.
Tickets are $10 and $9 (in Salt Lake City) $9 and $8 in Provo, with a special discount for kids under 12 and senior citizens. There are also discounts for groups. Smith'sTix and the Salt Palace are handling ticket sales.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 23
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 20
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17