Some things in life should never change: New Year's Eve on Time's Square, for instance; religious rites; the singing of the "Star Spangled Banner" at the beginning of every baseball game, and the familiar antics and theatrics of the Harlem Globetrotters.From the opening bars of "Sweet Georgia Brown" to the final flying slam-dunk, you know what's coming up next in their routine, and you laugh yourself silly waiting.
Now, on Jan. 16, 7:30 p.m. at the Salt Palace, the Trotters will be strutting for local fans. On Jan. 17 the show shifts south to Provo for a 7:30 game at the BYU Marriott Center.
The Globetrotters' track record is unequaled, of course. The team's stats have been trotted out before: 100 million adults have seen them in 103 countries, they're on a 6,278-game winning streak, they're in their 63rd season, and they've played both Wagga Wagga and Walla Walla (the former in Australia, the latter in Washington).
They're known as America's Goodwill Ambassadors. Names like "Meadowlark," "Geese" and "Curly" would make any basketball Hall of Fame team anywhere.
This year James "Twiggy" Sanders is the front man, doing most of the skits and jawing with the crowd. He's joined in the starting line-up by dribbler extraordinaire Tyrone Brown, slam dunks specialist J.B. "Downtown" Brown, rebounding whiz Dedrick Reffigee and three-point man Clyde "The Glide" Austin.
Tickets are $10 and $9 (in Salt Lake City) $9 and $8 in Provo, with a special discount for kids under 12 and senior citizens. There are also discounts for groups. Smith'sTix and the Salt Palace are handling ticket sales.
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax
- Investigation underway after man's body found...
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 18
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 16
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12