Grant Miller Mack died of cancer, July 7, 1993, at his home in Salt Lake City.
He was born in Inspiration, Arizona, June 17, 1920 to Floyd Malone and Cora Larson Mack.He was a World War II veteran, successful businessman, active LDS Church leader and teacher, and served a mission in New England.
When he became blind in his 40's, he decided to be an "Effective Blind Man." He refused to be intimidated by life. Grant and his guide dogs traveled over a million miles in the interest of the blind to every state, to Saudi Arabia, Russia, Puerto Rico, Mexico, and Canada.
He has served as president of Board Members of the Utah Council of the Blind, AM. Council of the Blind, Am. Foundation for the Blind. North American Region of the World Blind Union, Nat'l Accreditation Council, Nat'l Industries for the Blind, Affiliated, Leadership League for Blind of America, president's Commission for Employment of People with Disabilities, International Guiding Eyes.
President Clinton awarded him a Distinguished Service Award on June 27, for "promoting the dignity, equality, independence, and employment of people with disabilities."
He is survived by his mother, Cora; brothers, Reed and Wayne; his wife of 50 years, Olive Beth (Bobby) Kimball; seven children; 35 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. Children are, Mariam Richins (Lynn), Ventura, Calif.; Randall Mack (Patricia), San Jose, Calif.; Stephen Mack (Deborah), Rexburg, Id.; William Mack (Sandra), West Jordan; Spencer Mack (Jane), Orem; Thomas Mack (Allison), Idaho Falls, Id.; Camilla Conaway (Steven), Fillmore, Calif.
An eternal optimist, his sense of humor and natural friendliness brought him innumerable and lasting friends.
Viewing Friday from 6-8:30 p.m. at MacKay Cottonwood Mortuary, 4670 Highland Dr., and Saturday, from 9:30-10:30 a.m. at the church. Funeral 11 a.m., Saturday, July 10, 1993, Holladay 24th Ward, 4395 So. Albright Dr. (2145 E.).
Contributions may be made to Grant Mack Foundation for the Blind, c/o Utah Industries for the Blind, 1595 West 500 South, SLC, Ut. 84104
T 7/9 N 7/10
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- Are you willing to pay more for your child's...
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative Republicans...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- How to keep a youthful appearance
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Utah's congressional delegation... 71
- BYU makes clear there are 3 exceptions... 63
- Romney says climate change presents a... 34
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 25
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 19
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 19
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18