Please don't remember the Trash Can Sinatras for their name, just remember them for their songs, members say.
"Some bands are really good at contriving an image for themselves, but we're hopeless at that kind of thing," said guitarist Paul Livingston, a founding member of the 5-year-old Scottish rock quintet. "We just like good songs."Bass guitarist David Hughes agreed, saying the band basically likes to write quality melodies and lyrics.
"That's what drives us, and it all seems to come quite naturally," Hughes said. "It's not a conscious thing at all. We never really push ourselves in any direction; we just write and record, and this is what comes out."
Audiences and critics alike - especially in the United States - have responded to these Sinatras, who have spawned comparisons to the young Aztec Camera, another acclaimed Scottish pop/rock unit.
"Most of the (fan) letters we get seem to come from America," Hughes said.
Utahns will get their chance to see the Trash Can Sinatras in a concert Wednesday, July 7, at Club DV8, 115 S. West Temple.
But while these Sinatras have already tasted U.S. success, their touring partners, England's L. Kage, have waited a long time to see the States.
"I'm anxious to play in America," said vocalist Dean O'Loughlin. "When you've done a gig in Hull - which is a backwater hole in England - in front of 50 people who have nothing to lose and you've managed to crack a few smiles, America is nothing, really. It's a challenge we welcome."
Unlike the Trash Can Sinatras, which have an obvious English sound, L. Kage (who conjure up images of other English pop acts like Orange Juice and the Bluebells) enlisted U.S. producer Mitch Easter - who served as the Svengali for the young R.E.M. - to produce their first U.S.-released effort, "Brazilliant."
"Mitch just seemed to identify with us," O'Loughlin said. "He was also the only producer we met that really had a sense of humor."
Tickets for the concert, which starts at 8:30 p.m., are $7 and are available only at the door.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 39
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 14
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13