Northern Utah County communities soon may get their wish for Utah Transit Authority bus service in their area.
UTA officials agreed last week to begin the annexation process for Vineyard, Highland, Alpine, Cedar Hills, Sundance ski resort and other unincorporated areas of northern Utah County into UTA's service area."The board will now meet informally with each city and tell them what they can expect and ask them what they would like to see as far as bus service," said UTA spokesman Bill Barnes.
The cities will be required to pay a one-fourth of 1 percent transit tax as part of their sales tax. UTA officials predict that will bring in at least $62,000 annually from these areas, Barnes said.
But there will be little added expense for most residents because many cities have few commercial entities and already pay the transit tax in cities where they shop.
Although modest bus service will be in place initially, UTA officials expect bus service growth to come with population growth in the booming northern Utah County cities, Barnes said.
In fact, UTA officials were encouraged by the fact that after years of avoiding commercial development, Highland approved a small area for a shopping center last month. Highland city officials were first to push for northern Utah County annexation into UTA's territory.
Sundance officials are pleased with the prospects of UTA buses bringing skiers up the canyon, Sundance spokeswoman Julie Mack said.
A public hearing will be held in Highland in August and the annexation will be on the ballot in November, Barnes said.
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- Behind the masks: Why some Utahns choose...
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- Community comes together to surprise...
- Photos: Olympian Noelle Pikus-Pace speaks to...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 34
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Local religious leaders urge support... 23
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 22
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 16