Northern Utah County communities soon may get their wish for Utah Transit Authority bus service in their area.
UTA officials agreed last week to begin the annexation process for Vineyard, Highland, Alpine, Cedar Hills, Sundance ski resort and other unincorporated areas of northern Utah County into UTA's service area."The board will now meet informally with each city and tell them what they can expect and ask them what they would like to see as far as bus service," said UTA spokesman Bill Barnes.
The cities will be required to pay a one-fourth of 1 percent transit tax as part of their sales tax. UTA officials predict that will bring in at least $62,000 annually from these areas, Barnes said.
But there will be little added expense for most residents because many cities have few commercial entities and already pay the transit tax in cities where they shop.
Although modest bus service will be in place initially, UTA officials expect bus service growth to come with population growth in the booming northern Utah County cities, Barnes said.
In fact, UTA officials were encouraged by the fact that after years of avoiding commercial development, Highland approved a small area for a shopping center last month. Highland city officials were first to push for northern Utah County annexation into UTA's territory.
Sundance officials are pleased with the prospects of UTA buses bringing skiers up the canyon, Sundance spokeswoman Julie Mack said.
A public hearing will be held in Highland in August and the annexation will be on the ballot in November, Barnes said.
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Thousands attend second Utah Lantern Fest
- With Trump on top, Romney will not... 90
- Utah GOP all in for Cruz, but Trump... 59
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to... 49
- Utah GOP leaders ready to support... 47
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 36
- Climate change and national forests:... 34
- Robert F. Bennett, former three-term... 28
- Gov. Gary Herbert's 'big change' over... 22