Whatever happened to talented songwriter Mac Davis? - Mrs. D.R.P., Harperville, Ga.
STATS: Born Jan. 21, 1942, in Lubbock, Texas, as Morris Mac Davis. Attended Lubbock High School and Emory University in Atlanta. He's been married three times and has three children.IN EARLY YEARS: Davis started working in small clubs with rock bands in Atlanta, then turned to writing songs. He moved to Los Angeles and, after a long dry spell, in the 1960s his songs took off. He wrote for Elvis Presley, Lou Rawls, Kenny Rogers, Glen Campbell and Bobby Goldsboro. His own singing career was launched with a 1971 album and the 1972 hit "Baby Don't Get Hooked on Me." He had his own TV variety show, 1974-76, then made his movie debut in "North Dallas Forty" in 1979 and his Las Vegas club debut the same year.
FAMOUS FOR: His song "I Believe in Music," which has been recorded by more than 50 artists; his marital misadventures of the 1980, when his second wife left him for buddy Glen Campbell.
IN RECENT YEARS: In 1989, Davis retired from show business, saying he was burned out after 20 years of one-nighters and clubs. In 1991, admitting he was an alcholic, he spent eight months at the Betty Ford Clinic. He is back writing songs, and in late 1992 he took over the title role in the Broadway production "Will Rogers Follies."
- Send your questions to Whatever Happened to . . . , Detroit Free Press, 321 W. Lafayette Blvd., Detroit, MI 48226. Volume of mail prohibits personal replies.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Mount Timpanogos trail temporarily closing...
- Blue Moon Festival is Aug. 6 in Holladay
- Orem police invest in new armor to protect...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 75
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 22
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14