Jim Jardine, 54. Managing director at the law firm of Ray, Quinney and Nebeker. A University of Utah graduate, Jardine graduated from Harvard Law School and was a special assistant to the attorney general of the United States before returning to Utah to start his private practice. Board of Regents member. SLOC attorney.
Charlie Johnson, 64. Chairman of the Utah Board of Regents. Just took a new job as a top aide to Jon Huntsman Sr. president of the Huntsman Cancer Foundation and vice president of Huntsman Corp. A close adviser to two governors as Mike Leavitt's former chief of staff and Norm Bangerter's budget director. Was a CPA in private practice before joining Bangerter's administration.
Bernie Machen, 57. Became University of Utah president in January 1998. A dentist by profession, Machen received his Ph.D. from the University of Iowa, was associate dean of the School of Dentistry at the University of North Carolina and then provost at the University of Michigan before coming to the U.
President Thomas S. Monson, 73. President Monson, a former Deseret News employee, entered the Quorum of the Twelve of the LDS Church in 1963. Has been in the First Presidency for various church presidents since 1985. He is next in line for the church presidency.
Gayle Ruzicka, 59. President of Utah Eagle Forum, a conservative, citizen pro-family group. Unpaid lobbyist extraordinaire. Also listed as No. 1 dealbreaker in the state in newspaper study.
Bud Scruggs, 43. Chairman of Ian Cumming's American Investment Bank and vice president of Leucadia National Corp. Scruggs was a longtime GOP activist. He served as chief of staff to former Gov. Norm Bangerter, was a political science professor at BYU and operated a Republican campaign consulting firm with Gov. Mike Leavitt. Deseret News board member.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 23
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 20
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17