Jack Kelly, who played Bart Maverick, brother to James Garner's Bret in the popular television series "Maverick," died Saturday at age 65.
Kelly, who was a councilman and former mayor in this Orange County city, had suffered a stroke on Wednesday. He died at Humana Hospital Huntington Beach, said city spokesman Dave Kelly, who is not related to the actor.Kelly and Garner played dapper cardsharks on the Western, which mixed comedy with drama and ran on ABC-TV from 1957 to 1962.
Kelly, who came from an acting family, also appeared in several movies, including "Where Danger Lives," "Drive a Crooked Road," "To Hell and Back, "She-Devil" and "Forbidden Planet."
Kelly was halfway through his third four-year term on the City Council and had been mayor from 1983 to 1986.
A memorial service was scheduled for Thursday morning.
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- What went right: How one Orem family turned...
- Salt Lake County cities, school districts...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- Herriman man says his brain tumor felt like a...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 48
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 37
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 33
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 16
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12
- Salt Lake police looking for horses,... 10
- Survey: Utah residents want crops, not... 10
- National report shows high overall... 9