President Bush congratulated the Toronto Blue Jays for winning the World Series and invited them to the White House to celebrate.
Bush called manager Cito Gaston from Air Force One on Sunday en route to a campaign stop and told him "America is proud of you.""That team has a lot of American kids on it," said Bush, who had made no secret of the fact that he was pulling for the Atlanta Braves on the campaign trail. "It's America's pastime, and we salute whoever wins."
Meanwhile, in Grand Rapids, Mich., Bill Clinton wondered about Otis Nixon's failed bunt attempt that ended the game.
"Why do you think they told Nixon to bunt?" Clinton asked. "I believe if I were going down in the World Series, I'd want to go down swinging."
While Clinton watched the exciting finish, Bush was sleeping.
"I got to the ninth inning," Bush said. "And then I fell sound asleep with the set on. When I woke up early this morning, why, she (Barbara) told me that the Jays had won it."
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 53
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 24
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 20
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15