President Bush congratulated the Toronto Blue Jays for winning the World Series and invited them to the White House to celebrate.
Bush called manager Cito Gaston from Air Force One on Sunday en route to a campaign stop and told him "America is proud of you.""That team has a lot of American kids on it," said Bush, who had made no secret of the fact that he was pulling for the Atlanta Braves on the campaign trail. "It's America's pastime, and we salute whoever wins."
Meanwhile, in Grand Rapids, Mich., Bill Clinton wondered about Otis Nixon's failed bunt attempt that ended the game.
"Why do you think they told Nixon to bunt?" Clinton asked. "I believe if I were going down in the World Series, I'd want to go down swinging."
While Clinton watched the exciting finish, Bush was sleeping.
"I got to the ninth inning," Bush said. "And then I fell sound asleep with the set on. When I woke up early this morning, why, she (Barbara) told me that the Jays had won it."
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Weber County deputies investigating possible...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- About Utah: Others opened the door, but she...
- Utah aglow with new solar developments,...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 34
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 30
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 13
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12