Roy Watkins Doxey, 84, a member of the staff of the LDS Church's Council of the Twelve and formerly director of Church Correlation Review, died Aug. 10, 1992, of cancer at his Salt Lake home.
Mr. Doxey, who also had been dean of the College of Religious Instruction at Brigham Young University, worked for the Council of the Twelve staff a total of nine years. He fulfilled a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with his wife, Ruth, to the London Temple.While working for the federal government in Washington, D.C., he was called as president of the Eastern States Mission where he served from 1944 to 1948 with his first wife, the late Alberta O. Doxey. He reinstituted the Hill Cumorah Pageant after World War II while serving as president of the mission.
Upon the Doxeys' return from the East, he joined BYU where he was a professor of religion and dean of religious instruction for a total of 26 years.
He was a member of the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association General Board; was first counselor and president in the Provo Stake presidency; regional representative of the Council of the Twelve; and served 13 years on the Utah Valley Hospital board.
Mr. Doxey published 12 books, including "Doctrine & Covenants and the Future" and "The Latter-day Prophets and the Doctrine & Covenants," (four volumes) and for 17 years wrote the Relief Society organization's theology-spiritual living lessons. He was a popular lecturer at BYU Education weeks.
Funeral services will be at noon Friday, Aug. 14, in the Canyon Road Ward, 135 A St. Friends may call from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday at Larkin Mortuary, 260 E. South Temple, and from 10:45 to 11:45 a.m. Friday at the church. Burial will be in the Salt Lake City Cemetery.
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging at...
- Utah among states with greatest urban sprawl
- Vegas’ water drying up
- 'Modern Family' dad opens beer restaurant in...
- Salt Lake Comic Con FanX draws 100,000 attendees
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the thin...
- Man killed in court had tried to prevent...
- Fundraiser established for 2-year-old who was...
- Utah's new adaptive testing system... 58
- Utah among states with greatest urban... 44
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging... 26
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 25
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the... 23
- U. student government passes resolution... 21
- GOP resolution calls for partisan... 19
- Salt Lake City's inversion problem... 17