Fans of the "Andy Griffith Show" picnicked and played at events such as Goober's Arm Wrestlin' Contest and Opie's Sack Races during the first Mayberry Founder's Day Picnic in Grand Rapids, Mich.
"It's a good club to be in because you know Dan Quayle isn't going to say anything bad about it," joked Dan Velding, referring to the vice president's remarks about TV character Murphy Brown having a child out of wedlock.About 70 people attended Sunday's event. The international fan club boasts 20,000 members, club president Lyle Fales said.
The series ran from 1960 to 1968.
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- The truth about addiction
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- Missing 18-month-old Layton boy found...
- Man injured in police shooting identified
- Sandy officer shoots, critically injures man...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's running...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Federal judge halts Herbert directive... 39
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 23
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19