A 15-month internal investigation by the University of Pittsburgh has concluded that its football program committed 12 violations and nine possible violations of NCAA rules from 1986 to January 1991.
The university found infractions by a coach or coaches who were recruiting players to play at Pitt and in providing extra benefits to athletes already there.Investigators cited incidents in which recruits received limousine service, hotel suites, meals, clothing, expenses and use of a weight room on official visits to the campus. Athletes received meals, free instruction in martial arts and clothing.
Investigators found other potential violations but said there was insufficient evidence to prove them or determine whether the activities were violations.
They found evidence that a coach gave players money, players who were hosts to recruits were given more than the $20 allowed by the NCAA, a "supervisory" coach failed to monitor activities of another coach, transportation was provided to and from airports for recruits and players, an agent provided furniture, a telephone, groceries and disability insurance to a player and a coach gave a player cash to wear a promotional jacket to team and media functions.
The violations occurred during the tenure of Mike Gottfried, who was head coach from 1986 to December 1989. He is a football analyst for ESPN.
Pitt began its investigation in February 1991 after The Pittsburgh Press reported allegations of NCAA violations. Dr. John Bolvin, faculty representative to the NCAA, said Pitt had investigated many of the allegations in 1989 but had been unable to prove them. Athletic director Oval Jaynes said people interviewed in 1989 offered different versions of events when interviewed again.
The violations took place when Edward Bozik was athletic director. He retired last year and Jaynes took over in September, a short time after the hiring of Chancellor J. Dennis O'Connor.
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Inmate charged with sending threatening...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 68
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15
- Lawmakers hear support for Medicaid... 15