A June 24 execution date has been set for an Ogden man convicted of capital murder in the June 23, 1989, killing of an 11-year-old Washington Terrace girl.
John Albert Taylor, 32, appeared briefly Monday before 2nd District Judge David Roth, who set the new execution date. Taylor has chosen death by firing squad.After setting the new execution date, Roth granted defense attorney Martin Gravis' request to withdraw from the case. Gravis said Salt Lake attorney Ron Yengich has indicated he may step in to handle further appeals.
Two months ago, Taylor said he wanted no further appeals. But following Monday's hearing, he said outside the courtroom that he might continue the appeals process if he can retain the right attorney.
Taylor was convicted on the capital murder charge following a non-jury trial before Roth in December 1989. The case was automatically appealed to the Utah Supreme Court, where the justices upheld both the conviction and the penalty last October.
The body of Charla King was found by her mother in their apartment. The young girl had been sexually assaulted and strangled with a telephone cord. Taylor's fingerprints were found on the bottom of the telephone. He admitted to being in the apartment but only to commit a burglary and he still maintains his innocence.
The June 24 execution date would have been King's 15th birthday. This is the third death warrant issued against Taylor.
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Doug Robinson: Looking back on a cop's career
- Man, 69, missing after his boat capsizes in...
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 11
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8