A June 24 execution date has been set for an Ogden man convicted of capital murder in the June 23, 1989, killing of an 11-year-old Washington Terrace girl.
John Albert Taylor, 32, appeared briefly Monday before 2nd District Judge David Roth, who set the new execution date. Taylor has chosen death by firing squad.After setting the new execution date, Roth granted defense attorney Martin Gravis' request to withdraw from the case. Gravis said Salt Lake attorney Ron Yengich has indicated he may step in to handle further appeals.
Two months ago, Taylor said he wanted no further appeals. But following Monday's hearing, he said outside the courtroom that he might continue the appeals process if he can retain the right attorney.
Taylor was convicted on the capital murder charge following a non-jury trial before Roth in December 1989. The case was automatically appealed to the Utah Supreme Court, where the justices upheld both the conviction and the penalty last October.
The body of Charla King was found by her mother in their apartment. The young girl had been sexually assaulted and strangled with a telephone cord. Taylor's fingerprints were found on the bottom of the telephone. He admitted to being in the apartment but only to commit a burglary and he still maintains his innocence.
The June 24 execution date would have been King's 15th birthday. This is the third death warrant issued against Taylor.
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Mayor responds to pending harassment lawsuit...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Parents of teen who died in overdose hope...
- Zion's trees are dying of old age
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 22
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 17
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 16
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 14
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 14
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 12
- Mia Love pushing higher education act 11
- Sen. Mike Lee pushing for vote on USA... 9