Nicholas Christos Chournos, loved husband, father and grandfather passed away peacefully in his sleep April 25, 1992 of causes incident to age.
He was 95 years old.Nick was born in Davia, Greece, June 15, 1896, a son of Christos and Angela Apostalopulos Tsournos. He came to the United States at the age of 16 to work with his father and brother in the Bingham and Garfield Smelters. Later he found work as a sheepherder, which sparked his desire to pursue sheep ranching as an occupation. He eventually saved enough money to buy a herd of his own and this formed the beginning of his sheep business.
He became an American citizen in 1926 and shortly afterward took out a homestead in the Monte Cristo area. He married Dorothy Kay in Logan, Jan. 17, 1929 and they had six children.
Mr. Chournos has been president of the Monte Cristo Grazing Association, a director in the Utah Wool Growers, Utah "Sheepman of the Year, 1967", "Rancher of the Year, 1978", Grand Marshall of the Box Elder County Fair Parade, 1979. On his 90th birthday, he was honored by the National Wood Growers for being the oldest practicing sheepman in the nation.
Surviving are his wife, Tremonton and four children, Samuel N. Chournos, Mrs. Cherre (Junior) Lish, Mrs. Helen (Carl) Harper, all of Tremonton, George Russell Chournos, Cokeville, Wyoming; 33 grandchildren, 87 great-grandchildren; nine great great-grandchildren; one brother, Louis Tsournos, Greece. He was preceded in death by two sons, Monte Nick and Johnnie K. Chournos.
Funeral services will be Thursday, April 30, 12 noon at the Tremonton Stake Center, 600 No. 300 East. Friends may call Wednesday 6-8 p.m. at Rogers and Taylor Funeral Home, 111 No. 100 East and Thursday 10 to 11:30 a.m. Interment in Tremonton Riverview Cemetery.
Family suggests donations be made to Primary Childrens Medical Center.
N 4/28 T 4/29
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- About Utah: How this Utahn turned a chance...
- Three hurt when ATV explodes into flames as...
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 65
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18