Nicholas Christos Chournos, loved husband, father and grandfather passed away peacefully in his sleep April 25, 1992 of causes incident to age.
He was 95 years old.Nick was born in Davia, Greece, June 15, 1896, a son of Christos and Angela Apostalopulos Tsournos. He came to the United States at the age of 16 to work with his father and brother in the Bingham and Garfield Smelters. Later he found work as a sheepherder, which sparked his desire to pursue sheep ranching as an occupation. He eventually saved enough money to buy a herd of his own and this formed the beginning of his sheep business.
He became an American citizen in 1926 and shortly afterward took out a homestead in the Monte Cristo area. He married Dorothy Kay in Logan, Jan. 17, 1929 and they had six children.
Mr. Chournos has been president of the Monte Cristo Grazing Association, a director in the Utah Wool Growers, Utah "Sheepman of the Year, 1967", "Rancher of the Year, 1978", Grand Marshall of the Box Elder County Fair Parade, 1979. On his 90th birthday, he was honored by the National Wood Growers for being the oldest practicing sheepman in the nation.
Surviving are his wife, Tremonton and four children, Samuel N. Chournos, Mrs. Cherre (Junior) Lish, Mrs. Helen (Carl) Harper, all of Tremonton, George Russell Chournos, Cokeville, Wyoming; 33 grandchildren, 87 great-grandchildren; nine great great-grandchildren; one brother, Louis Tsournos, Greece. He was preceded in death by two sons, Monte Nick and Johnnie K. Chournos.
Funeral services will be Thursday, April 30, 12 noon at the Tremonton Stake Center, 600 No. 300 East. Friends may call Wednesday 6-8 p.m. at Rogers and Taylor Funeral Home, 111 No. 100 East and Thursday 10 to 11:30 a.m. Interment in Tremonton Riverview Cemetery.
Family suggests donations be made to Primary Childrens Medical Center.
N 4/28 T 4/29
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Primary Children's Hospital chaplains laugh,...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18