Nicholas Christos Chournos, loved husband, father and grandfather passed away peacefully in his sleep April 25, 1992 of causes incident to age.
He was 95 years old.Nick was born in Davia, Greece, June 15, 1896, a son of Christos and Angela Apostalopulos Tsournos. He came to the United States at the age of 16 to work with his father and brother in the Bingham and Garfield Smelters. Later he found work as a sheepherder, which sparked his desire to pursue sheep ranching as an occupation. He eventually saved enough money to buy a herd of his own and this formed the beginning of his sheep business.
He became an American citizen in 1926 and shortly afterward took out a homestead in the Monte Cristo area. He married Dorothy Kay in Logan, Jan. 17, 1929 and they had six children.
Mr. Chournos has been president of the Monte Cristo Grazing Association, a director in the Utah Wool Growers, Utah "Sheepman of the Year, 1967", "Rancher of the Year, 1978", Grand Marshall of the Box Elder County Fair Parade, 1979. On his 90th birthday, he was honored by the National Wood Growers for being the oldest practicing sheepman in the nation.
Surviving are his wife, Tremonton and four children, Samuel N. Chournos, Mrs. Cherre (Junior) Lish, Mrs. Helen (Carl) Harper, all of Tremonton, George Russell Chournos, Cokeville, Wyoming; 33 grandchildren, 87 great-grandchildren; nine great great-grandchildren; one brother, Louis Tsournos, Greece. He was preceded in death by two sons, Monte Nick and Johnnie K. Chournos.
Funeral services will be Thursday, April 30, 12 noon at the Tremonton Stake Center, 600 No. 300 East. Friends may call Wednesday 6-8 p.m. at Rogers and Taylor Funeral Home, 111 No. 100 East and Thursday 10 to 11:30 a.m. Interment in Tremonton Riverview Cemetery.
Family suggests donations be made to Primary Childrens Medical Center.
N 4/28 T 4/29
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Uintah County man 'lucky to be alive' after...
- Police: Panhandler pulls woman from car after...
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Protest ride results in charges against...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 69
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 53
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 37
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 25
- New definition of homeless would give... 23
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18