Taylorsville, Manti and Hurricane high school seniors received superior ratings and full-tuition Southern Utah State scholarships at the 11th Annual High School Shakespeare Competition held recently at Southern Utah State College.
An additional eight students - all of them high school juniors - received mini-scholarships to a Shakespeare Acting Workshop this summer at SUSC.Participation in the annual event is divided into large-school and small-school divisions, with points awarded for winners in mono acts, duo scenes and ensemble scenes. All entries must come from the works of William Shakespeare.
Sweepstakes honors, Oxford or large-school division, went to West Jordan High School this year. Mountain View came in second, just one point ahead of third place Bonanza High School, Las Vegas.
Manti waltzed away with sweepstakes in the Westminster Division. Hurricane finished second with Parowan following closely behind.
Alan Ormsby, Taylorsville, received a full-tuition SUSC scholarship for his performance in duo scene competition, Oxford Division. He and Stacy N. Taylor, a Taylorsville High junior, performed a scene from "Taming of the Shrew."
A second full-tuition scholarship went to John Hales, Manti, for his mono act, Westminster Division, from "Henry VI Part III." The third winner, Hurricane senior Jeremy Thomas, received a scholarship for his duo scene entry from "A Winter's Tale." Junior Wendy Gubler was his acting partner.
Taylor and Gubler are mini-scholarship recipients. Additional winners are Jennifer Buckalew and Justin Ivie, West Jordan; Courtney Miles, Parowan; Mark Bennion and Reynie Sandoval, Manti; and Jon Coleman, Foothill High School, Bakersfield, Calif.
The mini-scholarships are a new addition to the annual festival, which began at SUSC in 1977.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Long-awaited Jeremy Johnson fraud trial kicks...
- Ex-social worker to plead guilty to sex with...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 55
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 36
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 12