Taylorsville, Manti and Hurricane high school seniors received superior ratings and full-tuition Southern Utah State scholarships at the 11th Annual High School Shakespeare Competition held recently at Southern Utah State College.
An additional eight students - all of them high school juniors - received mini-scholarships to a Shakespeare Acting Workshop this summer at SUSC.Participation in the annual event is divided into large-school and small-school divisions, with points awarded for winners in mono acts, duo scenes and ensemble scenes. All entries must come from the works of William Shakespeare.
Sweepstakes honors, Oxford or large-school division, went to West Jordan High School this year. Mountain View came in second, just one point ahead of third place Bonanza High School, Las Vegas.
Manti waltzed away with sweepstakes in the Westminster Division. Hurricane finished second with Parowan following closely behind.
Alan Ormsby, Taylorsville, received a full-tuition SUSC scholarship for his performance in duo scene competition, Oxford Division. He and Stacy N. Taylor, a Taylorsville High junior, performed a scene from "Taming of the Shrew."
A second full-tuition scholarship went to John Hales, Manti, for his mono act, Westminster Division, from "Henry VI Part III." The third winner, Hurricane senior Jeremy Thomas, received a scholarship for his duo scene entry from "A Winter's Tale." Junior Wendy Gubler was his acting partner.
Taylor and Gubler are mini-scholarship recipients. Additional winners are Jennifer Buckalew and Justin Ivie, West Jordan; Courtney Miles, Parowan; Mark Bennion and Reynie Sandoval, Manti; and Jon Coleman, Foothill High School, Bakersfield, Calif.
The mini-scholarships are a new addition to the annual festival, which began at SUSC in 1977.
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team at...
- Motley Crue concert delayed about two hours...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt status...
- Merged resorts relying on familiar feel to...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 296
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 140
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 104
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 90
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 76
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35