Hurricane Val hammered this U.S. territory with sustained wind of 100 mph and gusts to 150 mph, a government spokesman said.
"We are feeling the full force of Hurricane Val," Rosemary Chamberlin of government-operated television station KVZK said late Monday. "This is believed to be the worst storm to ever hit Samoa."There were no reports of deaths in American Samoa, located in the South Pacific about 2,600 miles southwest of Hawaii, she said.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Weber County deputies investigating possible...
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy shine...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Photos: Here comes the sun
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 32
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 30
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11