Rick Rasnick, 32, assistant head coach for offense at Utah, says he's interested in applying for the vacant head coaching position at Idaho State University.
ISU Coach Garth Hall was notified Monday his contract will not be renewed. Hall's teams managed just nine victories in the past four seasons.Rasnick, who has no head coaching experience, said he's interested in pursuing the ISU job. Utah managed a 7-5 record this season in Division I-A Western Athletic Conference.
Idaho State plays in the Division I-AA Big Sky Conference, but has had only one winning season in football since capturing the NCAA I-AA national championship in 1981.
Rasnick is a 1982 graduate of San Jose State, and was offensive coordinator for the Spartans while Idaho State Athletic Director Randy Hoffman was AD at San Jose State. Hoffman picked him as interim coach in 1990 after coach Claude Gilbert was fired.
After Terry Shea was hired to take over at San Jose, Rasnick left for his current post at Utah. He said he already has been contacted by ISU.
"It's hard to say (if I'm the frontrunner)," Rasnick said. "We're just in the talking stage right now, and no one has made any of those decisions."
Rasnick said he has visited Pocatello and is familiar with the city, state and the Big Sky.
"The Big Sky is a very good football conference," he said. "I have heard nothing but positive things about the school and the people of Pocatello.
"Obviously, they want to be successful in football and to be successful, the community has to make a commitment to the university and the athletic program. It looks like they're ready to make that commitment."
School officials said a number of other potential candidates are pursuing the job and resumes are coming in. Among those listed as possibilities were Dirk Koetter, offensive coordinator at Missouri, former ISU quarterback and son of former Head Coach Jim Koetter; Dave Kragthorpe, who coached the 1981 national championship team; Mike Sheppard, former New Mexico coach; Jack Bishop, Southern Utah State coach.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 35
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13